9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 4:24 PM by Richard Leeke

Disappearing Text

Shawn Wallwork

Hi folks, I don't use Public much, and I've hit a snag with disappearing text. Here's what the workbook looks like in desktop:

Public-1.PNG

(Without the yellow highlight, of course.) And here's what it looks like in Public:

Public-2.PNG

Anybody have a workaround. I've already tried putting an extra blank line above the missing text. I also changed the % to Percent, just in case that was it. Suggestions? Thanks,

--Shawn

It's getting worse:

Public-3.PNG

• 1. Re: Disappearing Text
          Shawn Wallwork

Finally gave up (the round-trip for testing is just too long). The workaround was to take a screen shot of each title, then hide the titles, and insert an image above each sheet. Ended up looking like this:

Public-4.PNG

Not ideal, but at least I can call it done.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Disappearing Text
            Shawn Wallwork

OK, that didn't work. As Richard pointed out the titles change dynamically, so a static image won't work. Here's my next attempt:

Labels-5.PNG

I thought inserting a graphic above it might have an affect, no luck.

• 3. Re: Disappearing Text
              Shawn Wallwork

I wouldn't exactly call this 'success', but at least I got the text to show:

Labels-6.PNG

I had to delete the paragraph break and let them wrap in this less than attractive way.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Disappearing Text
                Shawn Wallwork

Finally success! I had to bump the font size up two levels to get it to line-break correctly, but for the moment it works:

Labels-7.PNG

Hey Tableau can I at least get a 'I feel your pain' comment?

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Disappearing Text
                  James Baker

Shawn, could we get a link to the Public viz?

I don't think we've seen this issue.

• 6. Re: Disappearing Text
                    Shawn Wallwork

Hi James, thanks for taking an interest in this one. Unfortunately, as I was working my way through this I continued to delete the previous version, so neither Public nor I would get confused. And after I made that last post I took one last stab at it and was able to get the line breaks back in there without losing the text. It was just something weird with those original line breaks. I think I remember that it cropped up when I had to convert the font from Calibri to Meiryo because of the anti-aliasing issue (mentioned elsewhere), but I can't swear to it.

This Viz is part of Richards next blog, and should be published in the next couple of days, but as I said it's working now so I don't know what good it will do you. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you tracking this down.

--Shawn

• 7. Re: Disappearing Text
                      James Baker

Okay.  I wonder if it was an issue of which fonts are available on your local machine versus on the Public Server machine?  Though that doesn't sound quite right, relating to line-breaks.

• 8. Re: Disappearing Text
                        Richard Leeke

I'm fairly sure I can dig out a version in the state that was breaking - I check all versions into source control.

If I can find the right version I'll get it to you, James.

• 9. Re: Disappearing Text
                          Richard Leeke

The viz in question has a couple of dashboards - one designed to fit a blog posting via Public and one for desktop use. I noticed after re-publishing the version which Shawn was having trouble with (which I sent you offline, James) that the "desktop" dashboard sometimes had several text objects completely blank. Those were sheet headers, filter headers, etc.

That happened when the view was first displayed in the preview window launched when you upload and also when I opened that sheet from Chrome. In both cases, simply refreshing the page made almost all of the text reappear (but not the bits that Shawn first posted about). So there's definitely something odd going on.

I guess you may see that if you publish the copy I sent you, James.