1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 9:35 AM by igweogba

Row Calculation problem

Benoit, sorry to intrude but I have a similar problem too.

My excel sheet is of the form:

EMPLOYEE_NUMBER, ELEMENT_NAME, PAY_VALUE, ELEMENT CLASSIFICATION

ELEMENT_CLASSIFICATION can be Earnings or Deductions

So you can have for example:

SM983, Basic Salary, 500, Earnings

SM983, Tax, 20, Deductions

And this repeats for a number of employees.

I have added employee number in the row, and element row in column. I have then dropped pay value as the value for the ELEMENT_NAME.

So my spreadsheet becomes:

REPORTING_NAME

EMPLOYEE_NUMBER                 BASIC_SALARY     CAR_ALLOWANCE       TAX          TOT_EA   TOT_DED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SM983                                              500                               40                                  29             540           29

What I want to do is to have two calculations called Total Earnings and Total Deductions. I tried this calculation:

SUM(IF ELEMENT_CLASSIFICATION="Earnings" THEN RESULT_VALUE)

But when I try to drop it after REPORTING_NAME or EMPLOYEE_NAME it shows up with a weird figure I know nothing about. I have tried converting my calculation to a dimension by casting it as STR() but this doesn't seem to work either. Is there any way to have calculations on rows.

Also I used oracle discoverer previously and you have commands like SUM RESULT_VALUE over ELEMENT_CLASSIFICATION e.t.c but the tableau calculations seem very basic to me. Any guys can help?