1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 2:11 PM by Jillian Lellis

More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart

In a Dual Axis chart, is there a way to plot more than one measure to each axis? It seems the chart allows you to plot multiple measure values along the left axis, but only one measure to the right axis....for example, I could plot several measures (in same $ unit) into stacked bar along the left axis, but was limited to plot a single measure (in %) along the right axis, could I plot more measures (in same % unit) to the right axis? or I should use other type of Chart?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
          Shawn Wallwork

Hi Benjamin, I just couldn't pass this one up! Here's what you're looking for, right?

Dual Marks.png

Multiple measures on both axis. Unfortunately this is only a fantasy at this point. But if you go to the ideas section and search "Two Marks Shelves for Dual Axis Charts" you'll be able to add your vote to this idea. Or you could copy and paste this:

http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1087

--Shawn

• 2. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the reply! The chart you posted is what I am looking for...if I have to use my own words to describe it based on your chart, I would say I would like to see two set of Measure Values in the row, then we can filter each of them independently.. I will vote this idea throught your link...

Ben

• 3. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
              Shawn Wallwork

Yep, that's the idea. Glad you're supporting it.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                Brian Calvanese

I also upvoted for this... until then, try using reference lines as a workaround:

CrazyOverlay.GIF

• 5. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                  Alexander Mou

The work around is to create a super measure that has those measures as its subcategories. Or one super measure for each group of measures. You need to rearrange your data table a little. Then you will be able to display multiple value sets on either of the axis.

Much easier than waiting for the fantasy to happen. Will up-vote the idea thou. Shawn Wallwork

• 6. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                    Shawn Wallwork

This being a 2-1/2 years old Idea, I'll accept your "...waiting for the fantasy..." comment. But your post does make me curious: What is a 'super-measure'? And what is a 'super measure for each group of measures'? If you would please post a packaged workbook showing the 'workaround' you are referring to, I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 7. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                      Alexander Mou

Super measure:

if you have measure1 and measure2, you have limited maneuverability charting with Measure Names/Measure Values. The workaround is creating a SuperMeasure with measure1 and measure2 being its subcategories. Recreate your data set to include SuperMeasure as a column. Measure1 and Measure2 are values in the SuperMeasure column. Then you chart SuperMeasure only.

A workbook can be found in a recent reply by me at the bottom of this thread.

Dual Axis with more than one measure on each chart.

Shawn Wallwork

• 8. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                        Shawn Wallwork

I think you're messing with me my friend?

I'm just not seeing anything in that thread that looks anything like a "super-measure" or any implementation of what you seem to be describing. Please post a 'super-measure' workbook here on this thread, so I can download it and see what you think is the super-measure 'workaround'. You know how to create this right? You will be able to explain this super-measure dual-axis chart to me, right? Just show me your Tableau chops, and I'll be happy to learn a new way of thinking about multiple dual axis measure. Thanks.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 9. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                          Alexander Mou

it's posted on the tableau public.

that thread is the context though.

Workbook >>>>> Style1

• 10. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                            Shawn Wallwork

Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow.

• 11. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                              Jonathan Drummey

I took a look at the workbook and I think I can resolve this confusion...Alexander, "Measure" has a very specific meaning in Tableau so it's easy for us to get confused when you start using terms like "SuperMeasure". (I did until I looked at the two data sources in the workbook). It looks like what you did is took the Stage1, Stage2, and Stage3 columns and "unpivoted" them to create a Month column with the Date and a Stage column with the value Stage1, Stage2, or Stage3, along the way aggregating by the Month to create a count. In Tableau terms, you took 3 dimensions (Stage1, Stage2, and Stage3) and turned them into two dimensions (Month and Stage). So I'm pretty sure that by "SuperMeasure" you mean turning the different measures into two columns, one that is a dimension (with the Measure Name) and the other that has a Measure Value.

There are several common terms used for this in Tableau: The one coming from SQL users is "unpivot". Another common Tableau term is making a "wide" data source into a "tall one". In this case because of the aggregation the unpivoted source isn't so tall, a full unpivot would have 24 records. Reshaping and restructuring are two verbs that get used. Finally, the "pivot" function in Tableau v9 lets us do this kind of reshaping with a few mouse clicks. Tableau knowingly chose to use the name "pivot" because so many users of Tableau aren't SQL knowledgeable, however from Excel they might have some sense of pivot tables and the notion of re-orienting data from there.

As for this thread, I did a long piece on this at http://drawingwithnumbers.artisart.org/bars-and-lines/ awhile back to answer these questions around dual-axis charts. Depending on the incoming data structure and what is going on the chart, the effort can be somewhere between point & click to requiring the kind of reshaping demonstrated here.

Jonathan

• 12. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                                Alexander Mou

Jonathan, thanks for your reply and your great blog on bars and lines. It helps me understand how to think in terms of pivot/unpivot.

Excuse me for the word SuperMeasure. Actually I meant to say SuperDimension. The concept is part of the nomenclature in data modeling: http://t.cn/RZeIzdv I believe Tableau has inherited the wordings and terms from data modeling.

In the fine-level normalization of a data model,  one can generate a great deal of dimensions. Directly processing data using those dimensions may not be the best way in terms of complexity and overall performance.  Operating at a higher dimension level (where the number of dimension is less) could be much better. For this purpose, we need to de-normalize the data model.

The denormalization is indeed similar to unpivot to a certain degree. But the thinking process is quite different. In pivot/unpivot, there is no concept like dimensions and measures at all. I tend to think in data modeling, not in pivot/unpivot.

Regarding the case in question, operating at a finer level where stage1,2,3 are all dimensions, is limited by Tableau's capacity using Measure Names/Measure Values. By creating a super dimension Stage where stage1,2,3 become sub dimensions, we can take full advantage of Tableau's functionalities such as dual axis.

For example: Being part of Measure Values, one Measure Value can have only one expression when appearing in both axis. When alone, a measure can appear as regular value in one axis, and as running total in the other axis.

• 13. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                                  Stefan Nikolic

Hi Brian,

I think that your workaround is fantastic! Thank you for sharing your workbook, it has truly been a game changer for me.

Just a quick question how did you create your reference 'area' to look like bars? I was able to recreate everything but that ...

Thanks,

Stefan Nikolic

Business Systems Analyst in Airbus Americas Engineering

• 14. Re: More than one measure for each axis in Dual Axis chart
                                    Brian Calvanese

Hi Stefan - glad you found this helpful!

To change the reference area to look like bars, format 'column dividers' at the lowest level to be thick white lines and you will now have discrete bars.

In Excel, I would often use grouped bars to do compares... I now prefer this bullet-style compare... I feel this is more intuitive.

- Brian

1 2 Previous Next