2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 5:59 PM by thierryjakircevic

Bug: alias not being updated

thierryjakircevic

Hi,

Quite often I am facing with a bug in Tableau Desktop where editing an Alias simply does not work.

I edit the name of the alias but it is not reflected in my view upon clicking on OK.

Please see screenshot and attached workbook.

Thank you

Thierry

• 1. Re: Bug: alias not being updated
          Daniel Hom

Hi Thierry,

I can't tell you specifically why the alias doesn't update when you try to edit it the way you've done it. That said, I've noticed it's always best to rename fields/field aliases from the data dimension/measure menu as opposed to the worksheet itself.

Simply right-click the field you want to edit the aliases of and select 'Rename' (if you want the field name to be changed). See below.

2012-03-26_0857.png

If you wanted to rename the names of individual items within a field, right-click a field, select field properties, and then aliases.

Cheers,

Dan

• 2. Re: Bug: alias not being updated
            thierryjakircevic

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your help.

I want to avoid renaming the field itself as I am using the same measure in different views with different aliases.

For dimension, I need to indeed rename the field itself as I cannot change the alias of a dimension in a view.

I can however do it for measure fields. Except that in this case, this bug prevents me from doing so...

Strange... Guess, I'd need to raise this to support.

Thierry