8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 1:05 PM by Joshua Rios

Maps - Consolidating multiple counties

John Mogielnicki

Hello, I'm working on a geographic analysis and running into what I think may be some limitations of Tableau's ability to map metrics.  I have a list of counties and values.  I'm trying to figure out a way to group the counties into regions, color the regions based on their total count, and then label each region only once with the region name.

I'm running into two issues:

1. Tableau can map values to counties very well (filled maps is, by the way, my favorite upgrade in Tableau 7, really nice work there).  And I can get Tableau to color the map based on regions if I pull my grouped regions dimension into the color shelf.  However, I can't figure out how to color based on a metric associated with a region within Tableau.  The workaround I've found is to input the new "region" value into a new field in the excel doc (see attached) and then use that to color the map, but I'd rather be able to do this within Tableau.

2. If I pull any kind of label into the label shelf, it wants to label each county.  I'm hoping to find a way to label each region only once.

See attached worksheet for an example of what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.