13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 3:50 PM by Prasad Hassan

Austin Tableau User Group

Does anyone know when Austin will get its own Tableau User Group?  I'm happy to inquire if we can host here at Homeaway in downtown Austin if that is of interest...

• 1. Austin Tableau User Group
          Nick Danforth

I'm also curious about this. I'd be interested in being involved in a new User Group here. Downtown would be a great central place to meet.

• 2. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
            Ellie Fields

Sounds like there is already a leader, Robert Ayala at Dell. I'll get in touch with him and add him to this online group.

My earlier answer:

Tania, Nick, all you need is a couple of interested people and a leader. We can set you up an online meeting space here on the site, and whenever you plan an event we'll list your events on the Tableau site and tweet them out as well. Let me know if you're interested in kicking it off and I'll connect with you offline.

Best,

Ellie

• 3. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
              Robert Ayala

We've had a couple of user group meetings in the past but my Dell peers are so excited about Tableau that I've neglected this group a little lately.  Sorry about that.  I'll be scheduling the next meeting within a week and will have some great presenters lined up over the next few months from various perspectives (data management, analytics and visualization perspective) so I appreciate your patience.

Please let me know if there are any specific agenda items you would like addressed in the user group meetings as I want to make this as useful as possible.

Thanks,

Robert Ayala

Finance  - Business Intelligence Sr Consultant

Dell | Global Services

• 4. Re: Austin Tableau User Group

Hi Robert,

It would be great to have a session on performance best practices as both generating and rendering reports on the server is increasingly slow for us.

Also, will these sessions be held downtown or in Round Rock?  If the latter, perhaps we could swap locations from time to time?

Thanks,

Tania

• 5. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                  Ryan O'Connor

Howdy Robert,

Sounds like you've put a good bit of thought into the group! I'm new to Tableau, and I'm excited to find a group of users here locally.

Based on the line-up of speakers with various perspectives, and my relative beginner status, I'm not sure there's any specific topics I'd like to see added. That may change as I get more familiar with the group and the product.

Perhaps a LinkedIn group would be helpful, I can set that up if need be.

Regards

Ryan O'Connor

• 6. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                    Robert Ayala

That's a great idea, Ryan, and I appreciate any help I can get.  I'm a little new to these types of forums but I'm going through a Dell certification process around social media (# 2 ranked company in social media brand) to help me optimize traction & information flow for this group.  However, if you're ready to roll with that from a LinkedIn perspective, be my guest.  

My hope is that this user group will be a collaborative approach so that as we evolve, various people can lead breakout groups & discussions.  Austin has a great technology presence and I'm sure we'll gather varied users & interests around many topics related to a rapidly growing field of career options in data.

Thanks,

Robert Ayala

Finance  - Business Intelligence Sr Consultant

Dell | Global Services

• 7. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                      Ryan O'Connor

Alrighty,

We now have Austin Tableau User Group on LinkedIn.

Ryan O'Connor

• 8. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                        Nick Danforth

Joined the group and shared it with some friends and in a couple other LinkedIn groups as well. Thanks Ryan!

• 9. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                          Drew LaMonte

Hi Robert,

Any update regarding the Austin User Group you are planning to lead? I have a user at The University of Texas that is very interested.

Best,

Drew

• 10. Re: Austin Tableau User Group

All,

Just as a heads up, we are having a Tableau meetup this Wednesday evening at Black Star Co-op.  Essentially just a meet and greet to talk to other Tableau users.  We'll also discuss some of the things we hope to get from the future interactions.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 12. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                              Kenneth Mockler

Hello All,

New to Austin out of Montreal, Canada. Been using Tableau now for about 6 years. Checking out what the local community looks like down here?

Cheers!

Kenneth

• 13. Re: Austin Tableau User Group
                                Prasad Hassan

Hi Robert,

Can I connect with you on linkedIn. I heard about this group during recent Tableau Roadshow workshop in Dallas. I am just finishing my Course in Tableau, thought I would engage regularly with tableau enthusiasts! Thanks.