3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 5:47 AM by Alex Kerin

Unable to aggregate Max and Min values to higher levels.

Siva Tunga

Unable to aggregate Max and Min values  to higher levels.                   

I Have a scenario where I have to calcuate Max and Min variations for each transaction it can be multiple rows with same transaction. First I calculate the Max and Min at transaction level. This transactions are aggregated to Region or Marjket Segment sum up all Max and Min values. If I use the Tableau Max and Min Functionality   I can achieve this functionality using SQL server query or view which I do not want. Tableau should have some functionality to perform this. Is there a way in Tableau

• 1. Re: Unable to aggregate Max and Min values to higher levels.
          Alex Kerin

Guessing at your data structure and charts, I think you will want to look at the table calculations window_max and window_min.

• 2. Re: Unable to aggregate Max and Min values to higher levels.
            Siva Tunga

HI Alex, This did not work. Widnow_max requires aggregation either sum or Max.If I use sum it will duplicate the total value. If I use Max and Min. I am at the same state as I was in Max or MIn without window level.

Here is a sample

Reg    Transaction ID              Dollar Value Paid     Date

South     123                             $ 1000                  02/02/2012

South      123                              $ 200                  03/02/2012

South      123                             $1500                  03/04/2012

South 124                                 $ 400                    03/03/2012.

Here I have only 2 transactions. 123 and 124. First I need to find Max and Min in these 2

Reg Trans              Max            Min

--------------------------------------------------------

South 123             1500           200

South 124              400            400

So over all I need to get the information for South aggregated

South                 Max            Min

South                1900           600

To get this Max what I have in the last table, is it possible to do in Tableau, if I have data structure as Table 1.?

• 3. Re: Unable to aggregate Max and Min values to higher levels.
              Alex Kerin

Yes, you need to set the partitioning of the table calculation correctly. Can you post a tbwx?