1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 1:05 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Linking two data sources with two filters

Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me out with an issue I'm currently having in Tableau 7.0.

Right now I have two data sources (MySQL) that have similar data, however, within each data source the labels are different.

So for example, data source 1 has filters for games names such as "Angry Birds". Source 2 has filters for those same games but instead they are called "game758".

What I want to do is take data from source 1 and divide by source 2. However, I cannot match the filters together so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

If I wanted to divide "Angry Birds" active players by total installations, I have to filter active players from "Angry Birds" and total installations from "game758". But I can only filter for one or the other so I either take total active players or total installations.

How can I match the two fields together? Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Linking two data sources with two filters
          Jonathan Drummey

From your description I'm not clear whether the field names are different, or the values are different. If the field names are different, then when you blend in Tableau you can use the Data->Edit Relationships... menu item to link the two fields.

If the values are different, then you could either create a calculated field in one data source that would provide the necessary values (basically a big CASE statement), or do something in MySQL to add a column or a mapping table.

Jonathan