5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 9:04 AM by james.spezeski

Quick filtering "Measure Values" for multiple data sources

I started with the example here to get multiple data sets to share the same axis http://community.tableau.com/thread/112640

From there, I displayed the quick filter of "Measure Values" so that I could hide/show each set.  The quick filter got automatically go changed to "Measure Names," but it worked as expected.

The problem occurred when I tried to add data from a second source.  When I un-check a name from the "Measure Names" quick filter card, it disappears from the card, making it impossible to re-check.

Attached is the workbook and a sequence of screenshots that illustrate the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Quick filtering "Measure Values" for multiple data sources
          Jonathan Drummey

Tricky...I hadn't noticed this behavior before. I was able to duplicate this. I thought maybe a workaround would be to create a calculation in the primary datasource that would point to the secondary, and then the Measure Names filter wouldn't make it vanish, but that didn't work either.

Even starting with a fresh worksheet didn't help (if you've customized the Measure Values list by adding/removing green pills, then new measures don't get automatically added to it).

I'd suggest submitting a request to Tableau, if you posted this as an Idea I'd vote it up. For me, this falls into the more general category of "rough edges in Measure Names/Measure Values". I've run into some weird issues with using Measure Names on the Color shelf when using data blending that I haven't yet been able to duplicate. For example, one thought would seemingly be to just drag Measure Values in from the secondary datasource, but we only can have one instance of Measure Names/Measure Values in the view.

Finally, one thought as to a workaround - if your data set is simple, you might try doing the blend/join in advance via custom SQL, either as part of the Tableau data connection or in your database. That way all the measures could be together at once.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Quick filtering "Measure Values" for multiple data sources

Thanks for your answer, and thanks for taking the time to reproduce the behavior.  I just submitted a support request.

As far as using SQL to do the blend/join in advance, the only thing I could think of is setting up a 3rd data source that's somehow linked to the original 2, and then only connect to that 3rd source in Tableau.  I tried using an Excel file to accomplish that, but I haven't been able to get the joins/relationships right.  I don't have time at the moment to keep working at it, but I'm pretty sure it is a workable solution.

• 3. Re: Quick filtering "Measure Values" for multiple data sources
              Jonathan Drummey

It's possible for Tableau to do the join in a single data connection if the data source(s) are all within one Excel file, or available in one DB. I took the sample data in the workbook you posted and did a simple join within the Tableau data connection, you can see it by using Edit Connection on the Source1+ data source.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Quick filtering "Measure Values" for multiple data sources

Just thought I'd share the responses I got from Tableau support:

This behavior is by design. Since D, E and F are coming from the secondary source, Tableau cannot assume that they should be a part of the primary source Measure Names.

One possible option, although it will not allow you to show all the values at once would be to create a parameter and calculated field allowing the user to switch between all six measures regardless of which source they come from.

The behavior of the calculated field created in the primary source from the secondary source not staying on the quick filter is also by design. This is because even though the calculated field is created within the primary data source, it is still dependent on the secondary source. Once again, Tableau cannot assume that this second data source will always be available and thus always be a part of the primary's Measure Names.

Message was edited by: James Spezeski  (added the second response)