2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2012 2:39 PM by Peter Thomsen

Upgrading to Server 7.0 error

Peter Thomsen

Hi

I tried to upgrade from 6.1 to 7.0 using the :"Same Machine Upgrade – Remove Existing Content" description from http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/upgrading-tableau-server - but without following the pre-upgrade checklist. It is a test server but with other stuff installed.

Now i'm not allowed to complete the installation of 7.0. The installation guide tries to upgrade the exsisting (deleted) information from 6.1 and says it is missing an uninstall-6.0.tsbak  file.

What to do?

BR
      Peter

• 1. Re: Upgrading to Server 7.0 error
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Peter,

Did you performed a Tableau Server backup using 'tabadmin backup' prior to uninstalling Tableau Server 6.1 and save the resulting file in a safe location?

Given the steps outlined, I fear you may have deleted the standard unstallation backup when you deleted the files and folders fin step 2. Can you check the c:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server folder and see if the uninstall-6.0.tsbak file is still there?

If the file is still available we can use it to restore the Tableau Server manually using the process below. If the file is not available, can you restore from the Recycle Bin on the system in question?

1 - Go to 'Start' --> 'Accessories' --> right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator'

2 - Change directories to the Tableau\Tableau Server\{VERSION}\bin folder where {VERSION} is the version of Tableau Server you are running.

3 -  Execute the following commands:

tabadmin stop

tabadmin restore "c:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\uninstall-6.1.tsbak"

tabadmin start

4 - Login to Tableau Server with an administrator account (one used with Tableau Server 6.1) and check to see if the missing users, groups, projects, workbooks, etc are available.

If this does not resolve the issue, then send in a support request at:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/request

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Upgrading to Server 7.0 error
            Peter Thomsen

Hi Tracy

As I wrote in my issue - No, I did not follow the Pre-Upgrade procedure. I didn't have any intention of keeping anything from the installation. All I wanted was to do a full removel of Tableau Server and making a clean install of version 7.0

Br

Peter