3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 3:39 AM by Peter Hopwood

Unable to add secondary data source

I am trying to connect to a spreadsheet as a secondary data source, which I've done before, but, although it seems to connect fine, it does not appear with the little orange tick next to it.  When I set up relationships, it doesn't show the link icon.  The only thing I can think of that is different with this workbook to others is that the primary data source is an extract that has been added to the worksheet through bookmarking.  Would this cause any difficulties?  I don't fully understand what happens when you bookmark because I've also noticed that under the extract properties it does not list the filters in place on the original extract. 

• 1. Re: Unable to add secondary data source
          Peter Hopwood

Erin,

For the blending across sources to work you need to include the field that is used to link the sources in the sheet - that is when the icon appears. That is a common problem - have you done that?

I'm not aware of any issues with bookmarking and extracts that causes relationships to break (unless the field has changed name).

Can you post a packaged workbook and we can have a look and maybe diagnose.

Thanks

Peter

• 2. Re: Unable to add secondary data source

I'm such an eejit- thanks!

I do have a difficulty in that the field I can connect on is at a level of detail that I don't want to report on- it's too low-level.  Is there any way of making that connection and not showing the field?  Alternatively, I think I can change aliases in order to make connections at a higher-level, but can you advise: if I do that, what happens when I refresh the extract?  Will the aliases change back?  I don't have ownership over the source data so can't make changes in that.

• 3. Re: Unable to add secondary data source
              Peter Hopwood

Erin,

The best way I can think of to solve your problem is to join at the lowest level and then use grouping in Tableau to summarise it to a higher level, although depending on the volume of data and numbers of groups this could involve some manual effort.

With regards to aliases - if you refresh the extract the aliases should stay the same (as long as the field name is the same) , if new data arrives in the data set that did not exist before you may need to add new aliases for the new data.

Hope this helps.

Peter