1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 11:10 AM by philip.watkinson

Maximum number of columns displayed?

Hi, I need to reproduce a report that has 30+ columns but Tableau let me set a maximum of 16 columns (Table > Options > Columns > Maximum levels of column labels. Do you know any other workaround to include more than 16 columns to a report? Thanks

• 1. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Paola,

The best workaround that I can think of would be create two worksheets and place the two sheets side by side on a dashboard.

However, I wonder if it's really necessary to have a column for every field? This seems like it may be difficult for the viewer to understand the data. Perhaps separating the data out onto separate worksheets where the user can make more sense of the data would be more useful? Just a thought.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
            Andy Piper

Paola,

The app is currently limited to 16 fields; however, we may be able to give some suggestions if we have more information on what you are working with and trying to do.

Could you supply a packaged workbook along with the fields you are trying to incorporate into the table? Perhaps even a screen capture of the column headers from the report you are trying to recreate would be nice.

Andy

• 3. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?

Thanks for offering to help guys. We need to reproduce a report in excel that we've been given as a mock up. some of the fields to reproduce will be pulled via databse connections, other fields need to be created manually. The output the busines sis looking for is an excel file with all the columns they need (which are 30+). I can certainly send you the column headers if you can indicate how (I'm new to the forum).

Many Thanks again

• 4. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                Tracy Rodgers

Hi Paola,

To attach a file:

attach file.png

Thanks!

-Tracy

• 5. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                  Andy Piper

Paola,

I'm a bit confused. You Indicate "The output the busines sis looking for is an excel file with all the columns they need (which are 30+)."  Does this mean the report is to be done in Excel? Are you wanting to create the report first in Tableau, then create a copy of the crosstab to place in Excel?

Andy

• 6. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?

Yes, the intention is to create a report in Tableau and get the business to download it into Excel via crosstab. I'm attaching the column headers now. thnaks for your help

• 7. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                      Andy Piper

Paola,

The following method is not pretty, but it may allow you to get around the 16 column limit in Tableau.

If the heavy lifting is to be done in Tableau, and then the data exported and formatted in Excel, considering using calculated fields to combine "columns" in Tableau. Since you have 39 fields, you may wish to combine 3 or more columns together in a single calculated field -- think of it as concatenating field values in Excel.

In the attached workbook, I created 13 calculated fields (Columns 1-13) and placed them in the rows of a table (you could also do all the fields within one calculated field). When concatenating fields using dates or numerical values, you will need to use STR(date/number field) in the formula. I separated the first two fields with a "~"  and the second and third fields with a "|" anticipating that these characters would not be found anywhere else in the data (if that is not true in your dataset, choose different characters). Using the "~" and "|" characters should easily allow you to separate the values into separate columns within Excel.

Doing this should allow you to fit all the data into a table within Tableau, then you could export the crosstab to Excel. Once in Excel, you'll want to separate the fields back out again and format the Excel table as you wish.

Hope this helps,

Andy

• 8. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                        Jonathan Drummey

One other way that isn't pretty is to use Measure Names/Measure Values. You can use up to 16 (any datatype) dimensions on the Rows shelf, then add Measure Names to the columns shelf and have all the numbers you want as Measure Values that would get added as additional columns. I've used this to make big crosstabs to get loaded into Excel, though the column order is not particularly desirable.

There's also the issue that Tableau doesn't do horizontal scrolling based on the size of all the columns being created by the dimensions on the Rows shelf, so you may need to do some column resizing to be able to see your data coming from Measure Values.

Jonathan

• 9. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?

Thanks guys, I need to digest your suggestions a little bit since I'm not very advanced yet!I'll let you know if I have further questions. Many Thanks again for your assistance!

• 10. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                            John Munoz

I submitted an idea to the idea forum to provide users w/ the ability to display up to 256 dimensions (why not?).

Vote it up at,

http://community.tableau.com/ideas/2628

• 11. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                              Murali Govindu

Hi Andy, How could you accommodate these 13 columns in one Row shelf?  I tried to redo this and couldn't!  Can you or anyone pl. come back as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

• 12. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                                Murali Govindu

Ok Andy, I got it.  Its for the benefit of others:

Go to tab Analysis > Table Layout > Advanced > ....here edit the no. of columns or rows you needed, however, maximum it can go currently in Tableau up to 16 (Maximum levels of  column or rows labels...)

Best regards,

• 14. Re: Maximum number of columns displayed?
                                  Kavati Ramu

Hi Paola,

This is Ramu Kavati from bangalore in India, Actually Tableau Supports 16 Columns ( Display) Right?.....

But we can do it display more than 16 columns in tableau...what is the Process?

Answer: Total Columns drag into column shelf's ( Required Columns up to 120 Columns ) then go to Analysis menu and then select Table Layout -->Advanced-->select 16 (columns -16 and Rows -16)....Finally Save the Workbook into .twb file......

Second Step is: Close the report and then go to report saved location -->right click on report -->select Edit Notepad++.....-->Ctrl+F --> find '16' ( row level & Column length ) change the you required length 30 or 40 or up to 120...after save the notepad++ sheet...............then close the Notepad++....Next you can go to Tableau file .twb location i.e I mean reopen the report and see the dashboard..Width is maximum 4000 & hight is 4000..

Thanks & Regards

Ramu

+91-9741466277

7 of 7 people found this helpful
                                  1 2 Previous Next