I've been working on a related issue for several weeks with tech support and they've acknowledged it. The Space Usage page reports the size of the workbooks or datasources when they were published, but doesn't include the size of subsequently refreshed embedded extracts. In our case we published a workbook with a 30MB extract which later got a full refresh and became 1GB but the size never changed on the Space Usage page. We discovered this because our backups started getting huge and when we peeked inside we found the giant data files. In our case we're just trying to account for the size, not delete the old files. So maybe it's not old data or reports that are your problem, it's the "dark matter" of the refreshed extracts.
I actually looked at this myself once, and it appears that the size reported in the "space usage" report is the size of the extract when it is "zipped for transport" across the wire to Tableau Server when you published your report. Once it arrives, it is "unzipped" and lands in the folder Zyz mentioned.
Of course, once unzipped, it is substantially larger!
Thanks for that clarification which means that the value listed in the space usage report is only relative. It also doesn't reveal the consumption we're seeing where a workbook is published with a small partial extract (30MB) that later gets refreshed to a full extract (1GB).
Thanks for your help.
Is it possible to make all the data extract visible either on Server Machine or Online that I can have a idea which is which?
So not user friendly.
Also, is it possible to make the default extract saving address to D:?
I got 100GB free space in D:, but some scheduled work still cannot be done, showing no enough space on the disk!! (I still having 8G Free on C:)
Tableau Team should know that C: is always the system drive, space is already quite intensive and if anything happened or system broken down, users might losing all data so easily.
Once the server is installed to C: that is where your extracts will go. However, if you backup the server, uninstall, reinstall to D: and restore your backup, your extracts will be on D:
Takes a touch of effort, but could be worth it!
Thanks, I already uninstalled the Server from C: and re-installed in D: , but all data extract still goes C:\ProgrameData ?
I suspect you didn't delete the \ProgramData\Tableau Server folder (ONLY AFTER saving a copy of your tableau server backup somewhere) after uninstalling.
If you don't do this, you leave the "old" config information behind, and it just gets re-used.
I have the same problem , but I have sold :
(It solved also errors : 50030, 50018)
2) go to "services" and stop : FlexNet Licensing Service & tablicsrv
3) clean/delete directories, u can search on all ur server with the Key Word "tableau"
4) clean/delete directories, u can search on all ur server with the Key Word "flex"
5) execute "regedit" and clean inteligently all keys "tableau"
5) execute "regedit" and clean inteligently all keys "flex"
After, ur olds installations are deleted.
reboot ur server for precaution
Re-install properly, and run normaly, all ur problem of old license, old directories are solved.... I Hope