5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 4:52 PM by Venkateswarlu Vutukuri

different refresh schedules based on data source in one workbook

Thomas Cook

I have one workbook with two data sources.

The first is an oracle database, which I want to refresh daily.

The second is a spreadsheet that has some URLs for some in dashboard links and help. This is local to my workstation and I only want to refresh manually.

When I publish to tableau server it tries to refresh both data sources. It doesn't have access to the excel file, so it just quits and never tries to refresh the other data source.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: different refresh schedules based on data source in one workbook
          Dimitri.B

Version 7 has the new Data Server feature where you can publish the extract of your Oracle data source to the server and schedule its refresh. You can then use this extract instead of your direct Oracle connection and publish your workbook without scheduling any refreshes. This way the published extract will get refreshed on its own schedule and the workbook will remain as is, i.e. it will use the updated data from the extract and unchanged data from Excel.

• 2. Re: different refresh schedules based on data source in one workbook
            Raghu Guggilam

I am looking for this feature for a long time now. I have  a workbook with 10 tabbed dashboards published to server, which uses 6 different data sources. I want to have different refresh schedules for each extract, since refreshing all at a time consumes lot of time, server resources and is not required for my dashboard. Two of my extracts require weekly full refresh & 4 require daily full refresh.

It would be a nice feature to have on Tableau server to control individual extract refreshes within the workbook instead of refreshing all at a time.

--

Raghu

• 3. Re: different refresh schedules based on data source in one workbook
              Erik Marke Grossmann

Hi Full y agree working version 8 but still does not seem to be able to define different schedules for the various datasources. Or did I miss something.

• 4. Re: different refresh schedules based on data source in one workbook
                Andy Piper

Erik,

You can set up data connections to have different refresh schedules. I have 4 DB2 data sources associated with one workbook. 1 is tied to a transactional system and it is set to update every two hours during the day; while the other three are more static, and those update once a day.

While on Tableau Server 8, go to the Data Sources section and you should see each data connection listed. From there, select one and choose Scheduled Tasks at the top and choose the schedule you wish to use. If you only have one schedule to select from, then contact your system administrator for he/she has likely configured only one schedule to choose from.

Hope this helps,

Andy

• 5. Re: different refresh schedules based on data source in one workbook
                  Venkateswarlu Vutukuri

On The Server, we cannot select multiple schedules for each extract in the same workbook, Every Schedule applies to all the Extracts and you cannot pick and choose extracts to Refresh Schedules.

The only other workaround would be :

1. Export your Data source extract to server with the desired schedule

2. Then  replace your local Data source Extract with the one published on the server

3. Export your workbook.

I would say having this as a Server config would be more reasonable feature

1 of 1 people found this helpful