3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 5:52 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Shaded Map by Region/Continent

VISHNU S NAIR

I have a requirement where the Map analyitic should be shaded according to Region or say continent level.

Something like the screenshot pasted below.

TotalByRegion.JPG

In the above visualization. I have a set of data at Region level like

Region Name           CY value            PY value

----------------------          -------------          --------------------------------------------

Americas                         250                       200

Africa                                  50                         50

Middle East                       20                        20

Asia Pacific                     175                      150

Europe                              120                      150

So if the Current Year (CY) value is greater that the Previous Year (PY) value , then the corresponding map area should be shaded in Green.

If CY value=PY value then the corresponding map area should be shaded in yellow/orange.

If CY value<PY value then the corresponding map area should be shaded in Red.

The area in the map should even show the corresponding values too.

• 1. Re: Shaded Map by Region/Continent
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Vishnu,

There are currently no continents/regions in Tableau's mapping. However, custom geocoding could be used to add these to Tableau, then, once these are in, calculated fields could be could be created to get the desired color.

if sum([CY Value])=sum([PY value]) then 'yellow'

elseif sum([CY Value])<sum([PY value]) then 'red'

else 'green' end

Then, this could be placed on the color shelf.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Shaded Map by Region/Continent
            VISHNU S NAIR

Hi Tracy.

Thank you for your reply. Will try that. Now can you please tell me, how can i manually geocode regions for shaded maps ?

• 3. Re: Shaded Map by Region/Continent
              Shawn Wallwork

Hi Vishnu, you're in luck! Richard Leeke just recently posted a genius solution to this problem. He gives you two options, one is a 'hack' and is not officially supported by Tableau, though it works great! The other is a utility that prepares custom shape files to be used by Tableau. This shape file technique is NOT a hack and should be fully supported by Tableau. Both are posted here:

http://community.tableau.com/message/173853#173853

Don't let the length of his explanation (or disclaimer) put you off. The program and utility are fairly straight-forward and easy to use. He just wanted to make sure the instructions were clear, so everyone had a good out-of-box experience. Also if you do have any difficulties, post them to the viz thread above, he's always happy to answer question. And he's still tweaking, so you'll be giving him a bit help beta-testing. Hope you try this, and it works as good for you as it did for me.

--Shawn