5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 2:15 PM by Jamie Falik

Filled maps are available for which countries?

Alexis E

Hi guys,

I can't find a list of regions that Tableau will recognize for filled maps. Does such a list exist?

I know it includes:

Countries

States of the USA

Counties of the USA

Provinces of Canada

States of Australia

Any ideas on the rest?

• 1. Re: Filled maps are available for which countries?
          Richard Leeke

I haven't seen that listed anywhere either, so I just had a look.

There is a first level breakdown (State/Province or equivalent) for most countries (220 out of 254) and filled maps are available for 193 of those.

States are broken down into Counties in the US only, and as you say, they have filled maps available,

Filled maps are also available for US zip codes only.

• 2. Re: Filled maps are available for which countries?
            Alexis E

Thanks! Did you actually try all of them manually???

Is is an exhaustive list then? No second level filled maps for any country except the US? It's already pretty awesome but I hope to see more in the next version !

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filled maps are available for which countries?
              Richard Leeke

> Did you actually try all of them manually???

I just know how the geocoding data is stored under the covers, so I looked it up.

The Tableau folk have mentioned on the forum once or twice that they hope to extend the coverage in future releases - but I've no idea what will be added or when.

In the meantime, I've actually been working on a back-door way of adding extra filled maps (which is how come I knew how to answer the question).. I'm hoping to get that into a state where I can share it with anyone brave or foolhardy enough to head off into unsupported territory. Its intended very much as a short-term stop-gap until there's a supported way of extending filled maps - it will inevitably stop working as soon as anything in that space changes.

Here's an example showing the Tsunami evacuation zones in the area around my house, which gives you an idea of what you can achieve. Red, orange and yellow are the zones for different intensities of Tsunami. Green is the "mesh block" (a collection of land parcels) that happens to contain my house.

Tsumani Zones Near Me.PNG

Watch this space.

• 4. Re: Filled maps are available for which countries?
                Shawn Wallwork

Anyone in the advertising industry might be interested in this:DMA MAP.PNG

It's a fully functioning Tableau filled map of the Nielsen DMAs, built by Richard (mostly) using his 'backdoor' hack. And it works great! So you'll definitely want to 'watch this space' as he says.

Hope you don't mind me sharing your work Richard

--Shawn

PS: If anyone has or can find the Arbitron Markets shape file, please let me know. I'd like to import it into Tableau, which I will be happy to share once Richard gives the go ahead.

Message was edited by: Shawn Wallwork

• 5. Re: Filled maps are available for which countries?
                  Jamie Falik

I am also looking for a list of provinces by country. Do you know where I might be able to find this?