2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 5:52 AM by Richie T

Average revenue per customer when bundling different products

Richie T

Hello,

I have been working on this problem for a while now and seem to be getting nowhere. I would really appreciate any help with this!

Attached is a tableau workbook with an example of what I am trying to achieve. I have a list of customers identified by 'Cust Id' in my sample workbook who buys any combination of 3 products -- chairs, stools or tables. Each row in my data is a single transaction of a customer -- it has a total purchase amount and the type of product they purchased and each transaction records would only include one product. I also created a revenue variable for each product in each transaction record and copy over the total revenue amount based on what type of product was purchased.

What I want to be able to do is to plot the average revenue (total revenue/count of distinct customers) if the customers buys one product or a combination of products. The question I am trying to answer -- what is the average revenue if they buy a chair, a chair and stool, chair stool and table etc. and to depict this in a bar chart. I was thinking along the lines of creating a new variable -- 'Bundling' in my sample workbook that would give an indicator of the type of product purchased per customer but not sure if that is the right approach here.

Also attached is a mock up chart of the final result I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!!