10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 2:18 AM by Alex .

Filters in multiple sheets

Alex .

I'm starting with Tableau, and I have a question, maybe it's a rookie, but I have not managed to find the solution.

Filters have two types, local and global, ok. Also there are other types, but I want to focus on local and global filters.

I would like to know how I can make a date type filter to apply to multiple sheets within a dashboard. Is different from a global filter, because the global applies to EVERYTHING, and I want a filter to apply only to some particular sheets. The goal is that finally through a quick filter to select a date and apply to the sheets that I want.

Now all I can do a filter on a sheet and another filter on another sheet but then I have two filters and does not work correctly. I want only a single filter for multiple sheets and is not global

Thank you very much for everything, and I hope from the present day can contribute and help the community.

• 1. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
          Peter Hopwood

Alex,

I think what you are looking for is creating a control sheet and combining it with dashboard actions.

Start with creating a control sheet as shown here: http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/creating-filter-actions-dashboards

Then create some dashboard actions from that control sheet where you specify the exact  sheets and dashboards

that are affected.

Does that do what you need?

Peter

• 2. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
            Alex .

Hi Peter,
            This is not exactly what I mean. The example that your comets is to make a filter between sheets using the Actions.

I give the example that I have to give you an idea. Suppose I have 2 dashboards (A, B), in a dashboard (A) I have 5 sheets and in the other (B) I have 3 sheets. Well, I would be able to create a filter that when I check via quick filter applies to multiple sheets, for example, dashboard A 1 sheet, and 2 sheets of dashboard B.

I read some comments in forums that could be done by duplicating the data connection, is it a good idea? o Is it possible to affect the performance of the workbook?

Sorry if I did not know correctly explain my problem

Thanks Peter!!

• 3. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Alex,

Duplicating the data source is the way to do this. Global filters are applied to only one source, using this knowledge, here are some simple directions to get the desired functionality:

1. Create a duplicate of the data source. (right-click on the datasource in the data box and select 'Duplicate') *It may be helpful to rename the copy of the original source.

2. Duplicate the sheet that the filter should NOT be used on. (The duplicate will be used as a reference to build the new sheet). Clear one of the sheets.

3. Build the new sheet, making sure to select the duplicate datasource. Now place this worksheet on the dashboard. The other sheets using the primary datasource will have a global filter, but it will not be applied to this one.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                Alex .

Hi Tracy!!

First of all thank you very much for your response, has been very helpful. :). But I have a question based on the duplication of data connections.

The fact duplicate a data connection, do not cause performance penalty of the workbook? If I have a workbook with 15 data connections, the workbook Will it go slow?

Again, thank you very much for everything Tracy and I hope you can solve me this doubt performance

Alex.

• 5. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                  Peter Hopwood

Alex,

I think the approach I described can work the way you want without needing two Data connections - I created an example using the Coffee Chain data.

I have build Two Dashboards - Dashboard 1 and Dashboard 2. When you select the market on the "Filter by Market" control sheet it filters the "Profit by Market" and "Sales by Market" sheets on Dashboard 1 AND the "Expenses by Market" and "Marketing by Market" sheets on Dashboard 2 but not the "Sales Trend" sheet on Dashboard 1 nor the "COGS trend" on Dashboard 2.

The trick is to set up two separate Filter actions - one that applies to Dashboard  and one that applies to Dashboard 2.

I've attached my version - does this do what you need?

Cheers

Peter

• 6. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                    Alex .

Hi Peter!!

Can you send me the TWBX? with extract.

Thanks!

Alex

• 7. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                      Peter Hopwood

Alex,

Packaged workbook attached.

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                        Alex .

Hi Peter,

After seeing your example, I think the best solution that I applied to me is that of Tracy, but the example you sent me is very useful for filters between different dashboards, and you have given me an idea to do it in my project.

Thank you very much for the contribution!

regards,
                        Alex

• 9. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Alex,

Tableau has to validate every data source. Therefore, if there are fifteen data sources in your workbook, and each one is duplicated, then you will notice some slow performance issues. It also depends on the type of data source. This being said, I wonder do you need all 15 data sources in one workbook? Or can they be separated into different Tableau workbooks, say one for finances, one for employees, etc? Just something to think about.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 10. Re: Filters in multiple sheets
                            Alex .

Tracy thank you very much for your answer, I think I really do not need to create 15 connections and I'm going to do is split it into multiple workbooks.

Once again thank you very much for everything and hopefully we can maintain contact through here in the forum.

Alex