1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 8:25 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Formatting questions for newbie

Hi,

I have started working with Tableau 6.1 over the last few days and I think I have made good progress (these forums have really helped answer some problems I have had). I am at a point with an example I am trying to do and I am struggling to format the report the way I want to. For background information I am trying to compare data from 2 months and I have correctly calculated the variance and % variance. I have then added a circle mark and rag rated this using a calculated field which again seems to work perfectly.

What I now need to do is remove the circle marks from all but the % variance column and if possible I would like to hide the variance and % variance columns for the first month as they are correctly being displayed as nulls.

I hope this makes sense and thanks for any help in advance.

(I have attached a screenprint of my current workings).

Kindest Regards

• 1. Re: Formatting questions for newbie
          Jonathan Drummey

Here's a link to a recent forum discussion on hiding the Null first column, though I don't believe it will work in your circumstance since you are using Measure Names above the date and Tableau doesn't like to be inconsistent about column displays.

http://community.tableau.com/thread/116249

As for hiding the circle marks, you have to have a color that matches the background of the worksheet, and change the color calculation to add that as a fourth option. Tableau defaults to white as a background and that is not available as a color, so if you want to keep white then you have to make a custom color palette, using thse instructions:

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/creating-custom-color-palettes

It looks like you have halos turned on, you'll need to turn those off as well get a true background.

Message was edited by: Jonathan Drummey An update: I'd had a brain freeze and forgotten that you can make a white (or other custom color) much more easily by going to Edit Colors..., then double-clicking or right-clicking (both work) the color/valuein question to bring up a custom palette for that particular value.