1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2016 2:28 PM by Isaac Thompson

Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources

thierryjakircevic

Hi All,

I have a dashboard that includes multiple views coming from 3 different data sources.

These 3 data sources all have the same common field "CustomerId" which is applied as a Global Filter in each data source.

My issue is very simple: how can I create a "Global Global" Quick Filter on the field "CustomerID" that would filter all the views of my dashboards at once?

I have browsed the forum and found some posts that appeared to be quite similar to mine:
      ex: http://community.tableau.com/thread/115615 but I can't understand well the solutions proposed.

I hope there is a simple solution to this as the dashboard is expected and I can't publish it in its current state.

I would really appreciate some help!

Thank you

Thierry

• 1. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
          Alex Kerin

No, I don't believe so - can you use relationships instead of blending to effectively get all of the data in one place?

• 2. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
            thierryjakircevic

Thanks for the help Alex.

Do you mean creating the relationships in Tableau?

I did create relationships between each of my data sources based on the field CustomerID  But what should I do next in order to use it as a common quick filter?

• 3. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
              Alex Kerin

So you're not using data blending - you're using relationships/joins?

• 4. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                thierryjakircevic

I am not using data blending. Each data source has its specific views. But I have a global dashboard that includes views from each datasource.

Please refer to the sample workbook I have attached.

What i would like to do is to filter all views in the dashboard GLOBAL MONITORING with the Quick Filter "Name" which is common to all 3 data sources used in this dashboard.

Thierry

• 5. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                  Richard Leeke

The only way I can see to do this is to create a parameter from the Name field and then create calculated fields in all three data sources which reference that name field, testing to see if the parameter is equal to the [Name].  Then add those 3 calculated fields as global filters on the worksheets from their respective datasources.

This isn't ideal, because the list of names won't update as new data appears in the database.

I've attached an updated version of your workbook showing how to do it.

Note that I've added a value of " " (one space) which I've aliased as (All) to allow you to show overall results.

There's no way to do a multi-select filter with this approach.

One other comment.  I noticed a possible source of confusion over the terminology in this thread - it's something I've seen quite often.  Alex is using the term "relationships" to indicate a multiple table connection with the join between tables happening in the database, as opposed to using "data blending" where Tableau joins the results of two distinct queries together in actually Tableau.  But the Tableau menu option which allows you to define data blending is actually called "Edit Relationships..." - so I can see why

> So you're not using data blending - you're using relationships/joins?

could be a bit confusing.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                    thierryjakircevic

Thank You Richard. I understand the solution you propose.

Unfortuntaly, the field "Name" is frequently updated (anytime a new customer is added in the DB).

When publishing my workbook, I always use extracts rather than live connection.

Would the content of the parameter be refreshed at every extract refresh as well?

Thierry

• 7. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                      Richard Leeke

You would need to remember to refresh the list of names in the parameter manually each time the extract is refreshed.  That might be just about workable if you are doing the refreshes yourself manually, but would be hopeless if you are using scheduled refreshes on server.

Unfortunately that's the only option I can see, short of adding your voice to the lobby for enhancements around parameters and global filters. Both of those sound like big enough changes that they're unlikely to appear before version 8 (if then), which realistically probably means at least a year away. There might just be something in 7.1 in a few months. But there's no telling if or when or what, so you're best off going with the best workaround you can at the moment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                        thierryjakircevic

Thank you Richard.

I would suppose that using views from different data sources in a dashboard is common practice hence so must be the issue at hand.

Am I deviating from any common practice in dealing with multiple data sources sharing some similar fields?

Would people normally build a big query (would be huge in my case - not sure if it's even doable) instead of multiplying data sources?

Sorry for insisting, but I feel this problem must be so common that I simply wish to understand if I am trying to solve something that should not be there in a first place (I am building my data improperly) or if it is a legitimate feature lacking in Tableau today.

• 9. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                          Richard Leeke

What you're doing is certainly not unusual, at all.

Thinking about it again, there is another way of tackling this (I don't actually use dashboards all that much, so I don't often have to do this sort of thing).

You can use filter actions, driven off a sheet with a list of names and applying the chosen name (or names) to each of the target sheets, even across data sources. I think that is probably the "standard" way to do this.

I've attached a clunky example of doing it this way. I'm sure someone like Joe or Alex would do that with a lot more finesse, though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                            thierryjakircevic

Thank you Richard. I do not know if you are affiliated with Tableau but, if not, the company is lucky to have such active users in the Forum!

The logic shown is the 2 examples you provided is exactly what I am trying to get (filter whole dashboard at once).

• With the first case (use of parameters), the impossibility to have automatic refresh of the list as new data is entered in the DB is a deal breaker as it is a frequent occurrence and I have a scheduled update running every night. It feels very natural to users though (hard to tell the difference with a Quick Filter).
                            • This issue is fixed with the second solution. However, my DB contains around 6,000 customer “name” and I would need a drop down or a custom value list to make it usable. This however, is probably not possible isn’t it?

We’re so close…

Thierry

• 11. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                              Alex Kerin

Agreed - there should be a change in terminology on the menus. It's silly that to understand what someone is doing you have to ask them exactly what they are clicking on in the data menu...

• 12. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                                Dheeraj Poojari

Has there been any advancement with Tableau 9 that has come up? I have the same issue as above, and would like to know if the new versions have some resolutions to it.

• 13. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                                  Philipp S

I'm using t9 and I have the same requirement...

• 14. Re: Quick Filter affecting multiple data sources
                                    Ken Patton

There has been no change in this specific area as of 9.0.

1 2 Previous Next