5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 7:57 AM by Axel Schuhen

URL Filtering on a dimension from a secondary datasource

Christian Buhl

I have a dashboard that I can filter through the URL like so:

http://my_tableau_server/views/MyFirstWorkBook/MyDashboard?ApolloProjectName=MyProject

This works fine.

I have a second dashboard that I want to do the exact same thing on. On the exact same dimension as a matter of fact:

http://my_tableau_server/views/MySecondWorkBook/AnotherDashboard?ApolloProjectName=MyProject

This one doesn't work.

The only difference as far as I can tell is that the dimension I'm filtering on is part of the PRIMARY data source for the first dashboard, but it's part of a SECONDARY data source for the second dashboard, as you can see here:

ApolloProjectName.png

Is there a way to filter on this through the URL?

• 1. Re: URL Filtering on a dimension from a secondary datasource
          Russell Christopher

Hi Christian -

Out of curiosity, does your filter (using a dimension from the secondary data source) actually work in Desktop? From what I know, we don't support direct filtering via dimensions from the secondary data source. 

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're trying to do and why filtering on the Project Name on from your primary data source (which will automatically impact the rows returned from your secondary data source if it one of the common blending fields) won't work?

• 2. Re: URL Filtering on a dimension from a secondary datasource
            Christian Buhl

"Out of curiosity, does your filter (using a dimension from the secondary data source) actually work in Desktop? From what I know, we don't support direct filtering via dimensions from the secondary data source. "

Yes, I am filtering it directly in Tableau. It's working fine for me.

"Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're trying to do and why filtering on the Project Name on from your primary data source (which will automatically impact the rows returned from your secondary data source if it one of the common blending fields) won't work?"

I have a report, and I want to create a separate link for each project, so that people can access it by simply clicking on the link.

The ApolloProjectName dimension doesn't exist in my primary data source. I'm joining the two data sources using a different dimension.

• 3. Re: URL Filtering on a dimension from a secondary datasource
              Russell Christopher

Thanks!

I'd love to see an example of this, if you can manage. I tried getting this to work in both 6.X and 7.0, and any filter coming from a dimension in the secondary data source isn't working. Feel free to post here or send to my address @ Tableau Software, which is my first initial and my last name. I'd be happy to play with it and see if there's anything I can come up with.

Cheers.

• 4. Re: URL Filtering on a dimension from a secondary datasource
                Sten Lomme

Did you have any luck on figuring this one out? I am having the same issue. Trying to filter on a secondary dimension by using a url action.

Filtering inside Tableau Desktop on a secondary dimension works fine with 8.2, but it seems like it is only possible to filter on the primary dimension with a url action on Tableau Server.

Anyone know the workaround?

• 5. Re: URL Filtering on a dimension from a secondary datasource
                  Axel Schuhen

Hi Tableau-Team,

i have a similar question: I want to use/combine filters from a primary data source (polygon-data for a map) and secondary data source in a url to batch-export pdf-files with tabcmd. the url for tabcmd export is like

• ....?filter-from-primary-source=Filter1&filter-from-secondary-source=Filter2

The two datasources are correctly blended and filtering works in tableau workstation and server (both version 8.2.3) but not when using tabcmd as mentioned above.

any idea? thank you in advance