5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 9:00 AM by Ken Zheng

How to use multiple fact tables with different data granularities and multiple common dimension tables to build a report in Tabl

Hi, I am new to Tableau, and I am using Tableau Desktop version 6.1

Is it possible to use multiple fact tables with different data granularities and multiple common dimension tables to build a report in Tableau?

For example:

- I have one fact table F_Sub_Solution_Data that joins to D_Geo_Theater ,D_Geo_Region,D_Country,D_Partner,D_Solution,D_Sub_Solution and D_MQHY dimension tables with Metric_value metric

And I have onather fact table F_Theater_Data that joins to D_Geo_Theater ,D_Geo_Region,D_Country,D_Partner,D_Solution,D_Sub_Solution and D_MQHY Ddimension tables with Agg_Metric_Value metric

This is the dimension hierarchy :

D_Geo_Theater ----> D_Geo_Region -----> D_Country -----> D_Partner ------> D_Solution ------> D_Sub_Solution

F_Sub_Solution_Data Conatins data like :

Partner_Id Year_Id Month_Id Solution_Id Sub_Solution_Id Metric_Name Metric_Value

1 1 10 1 1 Qualified 1

1 1 10 1 1 Committed 0

1 1 10 1 1 Demo Ability 1

And

F_Theater_Data contains:

Theater_Id Solution_Id Year_Id Month_Id Metric_Name Agg_Metric_Value

1 1 1 10 Committed Solution Partners 100%

1 1 1 10 Demo Ability 48%

1 1 1 10 POC Ability 0%

1 1 1 10 Technical Training 25%

For the moment I did not figure out how to describe such database design in Tableau and I think this is

Please can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

Param

• 1. Re: How to use multiple fact tables with different data granularities and multiple common dimension tables to build a report in Tabl
          Peter Hopwood

Hi Parmeshvarkharat

I have taken your example data and put it into an excel spreadsheet (and adding some made up data for D_Geo_Theatre) and then build a tableau workbook against it. Using the multiple tables and the foreign keys tab on the data connection I have created a data source connecting the data at the relevant levels.

I was expecting the F_Sub_Solution_Data fact data to have different sub_solution_id's so I'm not sure I've got exactly what you asked for - but does this help?

Cheers

Peter

• 2. Re: How to use multiple fact tables with different data granularities and multiple common dimension tables to build a report in Tabl
            guest contributor

Hi Peter thanx for your reply.

Your workaround not working properly with my current situation.

It's showing multiplicated metric value.

Because my actual granularity and structure of data is complex.

So please find the attacheded sample data.

Dimensions & Facts data flow like :           

Solution_Id

Solution ---------------------------> SubSolution         

MetricCatg_Id

MetricCagory -------------------------------> MetricDefinition     

***************************************************** Fact 1 *********************************************************************

Geo_Id                  Region_Id                          Country_Id                      Partner_Id

Geo ----------------> Region ------------------------------> Country ------------------> Partner -------------------> Fact_Data1

Metric_Name

MetricDefinition  --------- --------> Fact_data1           

DateTime  ------- Year/Month_Ids--------> Fact_data1 

Solution_Id

Solution ---------------------------> Fact_data1           

***************************************************  Fact 2 **************************************************************************

Region  ------ Region_Id ----------------> Fact_Data2             

Metric_Name

MetricDefinition  --------- --------> Fact_data1           

DateTime  ------- Year/Month_Ids--------> Fact_data1 

Solution_Id

Solution ---------------------------> Fact_data1   

************************************************************ Fact3 *************************************************************************************************

Geo  ------ Geo_Id ----------------> Fact_Data3     

Metric_Name

MetricDefinition  --------- --------> Fact_data3         

DateTime  ------- Year/Month_Ids--------> Fact_data3

Solution_Id

Solution ---------------------------> Fact_data3       

Thanx,

Param

• 3. Re: How to use multiple fact tables with different data granularities and multiple common dimension tables to build a report in Tabl
              Peter Hopwood

Param,

Can you attach a sample data file (in excel or text) and an example of what answers you are trying to get and perhaps I can work it out for you.

Peter

• 5. Re: How to use multiple fact tables with different data granularities and multiple common dimension tables to build a report in Tabl
                Ken Zheng

Hi Parmeshvar,

I encounter the same situation as you. I wonder if you found a work around for this?

Thank you