6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 11:04 AM by Ian Waring

Microsoft Analysis Services Question

Ian Waring

I'm accessing a Microsoft Analysis Services Cube (derived from SAP data) and have been told one of the Rebate related fields I need is in the "Invoice Position" Fact Dimension. All I can see in Measures is an "#Invoice Position Fact Count" variable, not the financial figure I need that's hiding in the related dimension. Any ideas how I get to it? Or have I hit a Tableau restriction on accessing measures in Analysis Services Cubes?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Microsoft Analysis Services Question
          Russell Christopher

Hey Ian!

Any measure which is defined in the cube should be visible in Tableau as long SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS, for short) security permits you to view it.

One thing that you might try is to connect to SSAS with a different tool and the same credentials - use Excel 2007 or 2010, for example. You should see the same fields. If you see different fields, then there's a problem!

One question: The "Invoice Position" that you mention -- is it a fact in an SSAS measure group, or a dimension attribute which just happens to be numeric and is stuck in a dimension? I couldn't be 100% sure based on your question and want to make sure we're talking the same lingo :)

Regards!

• 2. Re: Microsoft Analysis Services Question
            Ian Waring

Hiya. I'm just a poor end user and hence no ability to hack the cube. However, what I see in Excel and in Tableau is as attached (on separate pages). Hope this gives some clues - I can't see the fields listed in Excel under " Invoice Position Fact" in my Tableau measures. All I see is an #Invoice Position Fact Count there.

I suspect I need to ask one of our SAP developers to do something on the Cube to expose these fields in a way that Tableau can read. But any clues would be most welcome.

• 3. Re: Microsoft Analysis Services Question
              Ian Waring

Problem appears to be on what looks like user defined fields, where Tableau can see a header and a field count. Excel accessing the cube can see the component fields, Tableau can't. Fear i'm sentenced to a meager life trying to get data without Tableau doing all the grunt work for me :-( - but would be delighted to be told otherwise!

This is data loaded into a Microsoft Analysis Services cube from our new SAP ERP system... so hopefully, i'm not the only person seeing this.

Ian W.

• 4. Re: Microsoft Analysis Services Question
                Russell Christopher

Hey Ian -

Not sure I follow you when you say user-defined fields. In cubes, there really isn't such a thing....unless you mean calculated measures, which Tableau should be able to see. Can you give me an example of what a user defined field means to you?

• 5. Re: Microsoft Analysis Services Question
                  Ian Waring

See the attached. In Excel, there is a "Invoice Position Fact" item that has subsidiary items of Last PVC, Last Rebate, Qty SellOut and Standard Price.

In Tableau, the nearest reference is Invoice Position, which has a number 3 in the icon - but whenever I select it (even as the first field on my worksheet), will drop an "out of memory" error... and I can't see the subsidiary fields. Well, slight lie, Notice that in the measures, I can see #Qty SellOut, #Standard Price, but no mention of Last PVC and Last Rebate. So, I probably need to go back to the developers to see what they've done differently with those two fields that allows Excel to see them but to be invisible to Tableau...

Ian W.

• 6. Re: Microsoft Analysis Services Question
                    Ian Waring

Turns out that the fields are calculated fields in the cube, but Tableau doesn't appear to handle these. Is this something I should submit as a "wouldn't it be nice if..." request?