3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 2:25 PM by James Baker

Quick Filters perform differently on server

David Den Beste

I am using a number of quick filters in a workbook, all multiple choice and all showing only relevant values. On the desktop, when I uncheck the 'All' box, all of the other values within that quick filter group are unchecked.

On the server however when I uncheck the All box the other selections in the filter remain checked and I have to manually uncheck the values I want to ignore. 

Checking the 'ALL' box automatically checks all other selections on both the desktop and the deployed versions.

Any suggestions to get the automatic all uncheck behavior on the server?

• 1. Re: Quick Filters perform differently on server
          James Baker

Are you talking about one particular filter or all the items in several quick filters?

Regardless, asymmetry in the check/uncheck behavior of the "(All)" item (the automatic one provided by Tableau, not a data item named "ALL") sounds like a bug that should be reported to support.

• 2. Re: Quick Filters perform differently on server
            David Den Beste

I have 7 or 8 quick filters, intending that the filters cascade. Selection in 1 will limit the relevant entries in 2 etc.  The All check, uncheck seems to work fine for the first couple of levels and then quits working and manually checking/unchecking is required.

I'm a new tableau user and was hoping I'd overlooked some setup. How do I report a bug?

• 3. Re: Quick Filters perform differently on server
              James Baker

Well, it may or may not be a bug in cross-filter relationships.  Cascading quick filters in a faux-hierarchy like that can be tricky, and sometimes it doesn't work like you expect.  The thing to remember is that Tableau doesn't actually understand that your different fields are related in any way.  The "(All)" item, when clicked, puts the filter in a "use everything" mode -- but it will also display as checked when you've simply checked everything in the relevant domain (without touching the "(All)" item).  In the latter case, when more values get added to the domain they are not checked.

If you're still not not sure or think that the behavior is inconsistent, you can use Help -> Contact Support or email support@tableausoftware.com and they can look at your workbook and tell you for sure.