1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 3:22 PM by Chris Gerrard

How to get tabbed views in Public

Richard Leeke

I must be missing something.  I know tabbed views are available in Public now, but I can't work out how to enable them.  I've tried setting "tabbed" to "yes" in the embed code.  I even downloaded a copy of Andy Cotgreave's workbook from his blog posting about using tabbed views to implement an About box and uploaded that in case it is something in the workbook (but I'm sure it's not).

I've also searched the site, online help and manuals.  The site search had one hit which appears to be the answer - including a screenshot of the check box to set on upload (see attached).  The only trouble is, I never get that dialog box when I upload.

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
          Joe Mako

When you log into the web ui for Tableau Public, and list your workbooks, you will see one of the two situations in the attached image.

For each workbook, in thumbnail view, there is a check box to show tabs, and in list view, there is a little icon at the end of the row to show or hide tabs.

• 2. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
            Richard Leeke

Thanks Joe.

I'd never even noticed there was a thumbnail view - and my aging eyesight wouldn't stand a chance of making out what those little icons show.  ;-)

I still don't know what the dialog box in that image I uploaded refers to - but no matter, you've got me going.

• 3. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
              Richard Leeke

Tabs get turned off again each time I upload a new version of the workbook.  Is there any way to avoid that?

• 4. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                James Baker

Richard, are you using Pro to save to Public?  And also, what are you seeing on the "tabs" checkbox in the small save-to-public publish dialog?

• 5. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                  Richard Leeke

Yes, I'm doing everything from Pro.

I presume you're talking about the checkbox on the dialog box I included a screenshot of at the top of this thread, are you?  That is probably the root of the problem - I never get that dialog box (I found that screenshot in the knowledgebase).

So from in Pro I just go "File->Tableau Public->Save to Web..." which prompts me for a logon and then just goes ahead and uploads, resetting to tabs off.  From the preview window I then navigate to the workbook (which still doesn't mention tabs) and from there to a list of all my workbooks, which does let me turn tabs back on.

Not a big deal now I know the trick - but I'm sure it's not meant to be that hard.  I'm sure the answer is in the mysterious dialog box that I don't get offered.

• 6. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                    Andy Cotgreave

What a strange problem.

Have you tried "file>Tableau Public > Save to Web As..."? That should force Tableau to prompt with a new workbook name and show the dialog?

Andy

Follow me on twitter.

• 7. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                      Richard Leeke

Thank you Andy, why didn't I think of that?  That does indeed force the dialog to display and checking the box there causes the viz to be saved with tabs.

The tabbed checkbox is sticky, so whenever you use "Save to Web As..." it remembers my last setting, and that applies across all workbooks.  But it doesn't apply if I just do a "Save to Web..." - that removes the tabs again, even if the sticky setting is set.

Do other people have this behaviour - I get the impression that's not how it's working for the others on this thread - or maybe everyone else is just in the habit of doing a "Save to Web As..." and getting prompted to overwrite their workbooks each time?

I had a quick look in the registry to see if there were any interesting looking keys controlling the behaviour and found this one:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tableau\Tableau 6.0\PublicPublishDialog

That has a DWORD value with a name of false, which is 0 or 1 depending on the setting of the show tabs checkbox.  So if false = TRUE it enables tabs (but only if you use the save as option).  ;-)

• 8. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                        Dean Glasener

Richard,

Yes I've experienced the same issue using Tableau Public in developer/creation mode -  the SAVE option removes the previous  TABS = 'Yes'.  I've steadily used the "SAVE AS" option to keep the Tabs ON while saving to Public using the Public version.

I also reported another condition where "an error" on saving to PUBLIC - caused a premature deletion of the prior version - anyone else see this issue?

In 300% Total - I Love Tableau - the presentations possible are GREAT!  I present fixes and suggestions in the spirit of making the excellent even better.  After 14 years my old favorite web BI developer - product still will not format data in a tabular presentation - let alone have the marks and presentation power of Tableau( total format of near everything).

I will recommend the good from my experience that may help Tableau - yet I must always preface my " fixes or suggestions" with "Tableau is greater than my prior favorite BI tool" and I'm now a Tableau developer.

dean

• 9. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                          Andy Cotgreave

Hi Richard

This problem is now a problem for me too. For me, it's this simple:

1. If I use File...Public...Save to web I get no tabs

2. If I use  File...Public...Save to web as... I get the option to show/hide tabs

No matter what I set in the Save to web as... option, if I use Save to web, I lose the sheet tabs.

The workaround is to always use Save to web as.... but, well, that's just not right!

Andy

• 10. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                            Richard Leeke

Yep, that's how it's always been for me.

• 11. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                              guest contributor

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I've been working on this and have been unable to get the tabs to show in my embedded viz. I actually deleted the workbook and resaved it with the "Show Sheets as Tabs" checkbox on, I have corrected the embed IDs, and I even changed the registry setting mentioned above. Other than the steps above, is there something obvious I'm missing?

• 12. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                                Alex Kerin

Jeff, have you tried:

File, Tableau Public, Manage Workbooks, then checked the tabs option in your browser?

• 13. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                                  guest contributor

Yes, I did. I also contacted support; there may be something awry because we are using Tableau Digital. More in a bit.

• 14. Re: How to get tabbed views in Public
                                    Dustin Smith

Turns out Jeff's issue is related to Tableau Digital functionality and has been addressed on the support side.  Not connected to Tableau Public.

1 2 Previous Next