3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 6:39 PM by guest contributor

Calculation function similar to countif?

Patrick Mcmahon

Hello, newbie user here, playing with an extract file that has several columns that have a common set of response values.  I am looking for a way to create a set of calculated fields that will tell me for each unique value, the number of times that value is used across the columns.

Here is an example (made up data) :-)

Rec#              A                  B                  C              D                  E

1      Not applicable        Client Liked      Client Disliked      Client Liked      Client Disliked

2      Client Liked          Client Disliked  Client Disliked      Client Disliked    Client Liked

3      Not applicable        Client Liked      Not applicable      Client Liked      Not applicable

4      Client Disliked      Client Liked      Client Disliked      Client Disliked    Not applicable

The analysis I am trying to perform is to summarize how many times each potential value is found for each record.  For example, Rec 1 used NA once, Client like twice, Client disliked twice.

In Excel, I could use a COUNTIF(A:E,Value) to create a column for each possible value and then summarize, etc from there.

Can I create similarly computed fields natively in Tableau to accomplish the same?

Thanks!

Patrick