Skip navigation

Allow formatting of numeric and date fields for display purposes

score 21
You have not voted. Active

It would be wonderful to be able to specify desired display formats for fields in the flow.  For example, I may want to see a date field formatted specifically (and I shouldn't have to write string manipulation calculations - see this thread: Date format displayed ).  Other use-cases include:

• Numbers that are years should not have a comma, but some numbers may have similar values but are not years and I do want to see the comma (e.g. 1950 vs. 1,950)
  • ID fields that are displayed with commas, but I don't want to see them (e.g. 19,355 should be 19355)
  • Fields that are currencies and it would help me as I work in a flow to instantly recognize them as such (e.g. $14.50)
  • Fields that have a high precision and I either need to see it to understand the precision or simplify it for faster cognitive recognition of order of magnitude (e.g. 19.93335 v. 19.9 v. 20)

What would be nice:

• Allow individual formatting of fields and apply throughout the flow (dates might be the one exception where I'd be okay with a global setting)
  • Give a small indication on the field that it has been formatted so when I see 20 I know it might be 19.93335
  • An option on whether the formatting should be retained in the output (e.g. should $14.50 or 14.50 be written to the .csv?)  I would probably be okay with an explicitly stated "formatting is for display in profile and data grid only and not for output" but I can see future ideas that would want to control it.
  • Bonus: pass the formatting meta data to the .tds output so it retains the default formatting in Tableau

Best Regards,

Joshua

Comments

Vote history