Skip navigation

Allow dimensions to be members of multiple hierarchies

score 49
You have not voted. Active

What is your idea?

Allow dimensions to be members of multiple hierarchies.

What problem are you trying to solve or what scenario would this idea solve?

Currently, if I require multiple hierarchies with common dimensions I am required to duplicate the dimensions.

These copies are required to have unique names so if I have say, three hierarchies on something like:

Hierarchy1: Region -> Program -> Project

Hierarchy2: Program->Region->Project

Hierarchy3: Project->Region->Program

I must have a naming convention which provides 3 copies of Program, 3 copies of Region, 3 copies of Project; each uniquely named.

My dashboards are already complex and this imposes additional complexity.

While this is a toy example, I have hierarchies which are 5 deep, and typically 3 or so permutations.  This leads to 15 new copies given the convention described above.

What workaround have you found and used so far (if any)?

I essentially create a convention where I name each based on the members of the hierarchy in order of precedence.  When the first letter conflicts, i include enough lower-case characters to differentiate.

Also, I only use copies in hierarchies so that they all are copied from the original, untouched field.

For instance, the hierarchies described above would be:

RPgP_HIER = RPgP_Region -> RPgP_Program -> RPgP_Project

PgRP_HIER = PgRP_Program -> PgRP_Region -> PgRP_Project

PRPg._HIER = PRPg_Project -> PRPg_Region -> PRPg_Program

While this works to manage the complexity, the names are terrible and I either have to re-alias everything, or hide the names.

When I can, I create dynamic hierarchies, however, more often than not, I must provide canned hierarchies.

What is your role in your organization?

Platform architect with some dashboarding and reporting assignments.

Suggestion:

Treat hierarchies as a collection of hierarchial references to existing fields.  Remove any logic in tableau which assumes sole ownership of the dimension.  It seems straight forward but I say that with no knowledge of the application internals which lead to this limitation to begin with.

Comments

Vote history