Skip navigation

Enhanced Data Connector to dynamically pull data like custom SQL

score 78
You have not voted. Active

I just finished the tutorial to build a native data connector. In the tutorial, when you setup the connector, the user types the ticker symbol and then the data is pulled for that particular Ticker Symbol.  Visualizations can then be built on this.  But it is only good for the one ticker symbol.

Can this data connector be made to be more dynamic, where a user can type in a new Ticker Symbol in the Tableau interface and have the data connector refresh with the new Ticker Symbol?

Ultimately I would like to create a drill down path as follows:

1. Open up a view published on a tableau server that has some sort of analysis on public traded companies, say the top 10 companies in the last 24 hours.
  2. Click on any of the top 10 companies and have a URL action call up a second published view passing  the company Ticker Symbol.
  3. This second view would have a data connector as defined in the Tutorial, but the connector would refresh the data by using the new Ticker Symbol...

I currently work with large databases and use tableau to work with our aggregated data to produce summary level charts and statistics.  We trend data over several weeks for hundreds of products on a daily basis to identify areas of interest.  However getting down to the details of a product for a particular week or day and all the tests we perform on the product is a challenge.  We can't really use tableau effectively as we need to design a way to maintain data sources at the level of detail.  

I can imagine if  we had a service to efficiently pull a smaller subset of our data, then we could set up a Tableau visualization to work with this data set..    If tableau could refresh the inputs to the service dynamically with a parameter, like it can do today with Custom SQL, that would make a single connector more versatile..  This would also allow a way to access more information via a drill down path with the say data connector.

In facebook, you could just pass the user's name to access their profiles with one data connector.

In Googledocs you could access the directory structure and then pass any file name in the directory (provided the file structure is similar).

Please consider this feature enhancement.

Comments

Vote history