Currently, if you run "tabadmin backup", Tableau Server will remove all but the last 7 days worth of data in the http_requests table.
The admin doesn't always want to truncate http_requests as part of a backup. It would be nice to have a option for tabadmin backup so that the http_requests table is not truncated. Then, they can run tabadmin cleanup at a desired frequency.
- Using hist tables instead of http_requests:
- Although the history tables have a fair amount of information, it isn't as detailed as http_requests is.
- Using incremental extract of http_requests
- This method is good, but breaks if the TDE is lost for some reason.
- Dumping to another DB:
- It is understood that periodically dumping the info from https_requests from the repository into another database is usually the best solution, but it takes some setup. Offering the admin a simpler option would be good.