Skip navigation

Ability to join Tableau Server data sources

score 826
You have not voted. Active

I would love the ability to join Tableau Server Data sources.

Use case:

I published a SQL view containing transaction information to Tableau and another containing account information.  Right now if I want to join the data sources, I have to create local data sources and join them.  If a user has access to the Server data sources, but not direct access to the database, I don't think there's a way for them to join the two.

* Community Manager Note: Incorporate votes and comments from JOIN Published Data Sources (duplicate) when evaluating -- Amanda Boyle

Duplicate Idea #7820 https://community.tableau.com/ideas/7820   ( 319 Votes )

--> Community Manager note Apr 18th 2019 [Ciara Brennan]

See message below courtesy of Amy Forstrom

Hi Folks,

Amy here, I'm a Product Manager on the dev team. I've been working on our new data modeling capabilities and this request. Happy to provide more information. We've built prototypes to join published data sources on our current architecture, but the performance was much too poor, and the UI did not deliver the ease-of-use experience that we want to deliver. We've also been reassessing the architecture and we don't think our current architecture is right for enabling this functionality. Right now, we have a few projects going to improve multiple aspects of this, which we are dependent on.

We hear that Tableau needs to support more reusable, independently refreshable data sources. We believe our current investments are driving in the right direction. Please reach out to me, especially if you'd like to discuss your specific use case with us. Thanks for the feedback on this topic.

Amy Forstrom

Comments

Vote history