Please add a special dimension type for date intervals which automatically splits itself into multiple rows when period crosses matched calendar periods.
- Because it is much needed as documented in FAQ: Open & Close Dates
- To avoid workarounds with custom SQL:
- which has a high learning curve
- which is poorly supported in Tableau
- which is not supported by cloud solutions such as The specified item was not found.
- Because I think Tableau can optimize this much better from inside in comparison with the multitudes of rows returned when all date periods are pre-reshaped before dataset is connected to Tableau.
- Because Tableau is about making difficult technical issues easy for non-technical users
It could work something like this: