Skip navigation

Conditional Formatting of Measure Names/Measure Values

score 1445
You have not voted. Active

A common request in the forums is to be able to apply conditional formatting of Measure Names/Values, in other words something that approaches what MS Excel can do. Users have come up with various workarounds, including:

One thought is to have fields available in the Edit Calculation dialog that is something like "[Rowname]" or "[Columnname]" that would refer to whatever measure or dimension is at the lowest level (including a specific measure name/value), and then allow users to create calculations on that, the results of which could then be used on the Color, Shape, etc. shelves.

Here are a couple of examples, given measures [Profit], [Sales], [Units] with dimensions [Product Type], [Product], and [State]:

One calculated field could be IF [State] = "New York" and [Columnname] = "Units" THEN "Empire State" ELSE "Other" END

Another could be IF SUM([Sales])/SUM([Profit]) > 0.25 AND [Columname] = Profit" THEN "Meets Margin" ELSE "Below Margin" END

In this example, it would be up to the user to figure out which calculations have priority and appropriately write them.

Jonathan

[updated 3/15/12 to add the link to the conditional formatting workbook]

********************************************************************************************************************************

--> Update Jan 17 2019    note courtesy of Harveen Kathuria

Hello Tableau Community,

My name is Harveen, and I am a new Product Manager at Tableau.  One of the areas that myself and the team are looking into is improvements we can make to tables.

We review all the ideas shared on the community forums and sincerely appreciate your feedback.  Our plan for tables is still under development. In addition to reading the feedback here, we have held several 1:1 conversation with customers on their needs for tables and we will continue to do so. 

We welcome continued feedback on tables either here or in a 1:1 conversation that we can set up. Just send me a direct message or reply to this comment. (For more information on direct messaging refer to this post:https://community.tableau.com/thread/201756)

Regards,

Harveen

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Comments

Vote history