Skip navigation

Ability to Customize Welcome Banner Content in Tableau Server

score 19
You have not voted. Active

Issue

With Tableau Server 2019.2, Tableau has introduced a "Welcome" banner that shows up on the top of the Server homepage when a user first logs in (and until they dismiss it).  When I first heard of this new feature, I was hoping that it was going to be possible to customize the message displayed in the banner however we like, but that appears to not be the case. 

Right now the banner displays pretty generic messages along the lines of "Welcome to your Tableau Site", without the ability to change the message to at least reference the actual name of the site, or say anything else for that matter.  Likewise, the links displayed in the banner lead to pretty generic functions, like going to the Explore page, going to the site user list, or creating a new workbook...in addition to links that lead to downloading Tableau Desktop or Prep Builder.

Idea

It would be great if there was a way to custom tailor the Welcome Banner to display custom welcome messages and to display custom links or buttons that lead to specific content areas or help resources.  For example, instead of just saying "Welcome to your Tableau Site", I'd like to be able to change the message to say something like "Welcome to <insert site name>".  At the very least, it'd be great if the welcome message automatically referenced the site name. 

Likewise, I'd like to be able to customize the links/buttons displayed in the welcome banner and where they point to -- for example, guiding them to specific workbooks on the site that I'd like them to explore first, or to custom help content on a company web page, or to an FAQ section we've developed, or glossary of terms, etc.  This way, the welcome banner would be more useful in terms of helping the user get acquainted with the content on our Tableau Server site, as opposed to just saying "here's where all the workbooks reside, and here's where you can download a copy of Tableau."  The Tableau download links particularly aren't useful as most of our users won't be downloading/purchasing a copy of Tableau anyway.

Comments

Vote history