(Note that this is no longer the most recent version. Please see the main page where the latest version is stickied)
- A new field is supported called Email Attachment ~ which allows you to attach files to the email sent without requiring they be embedded inline
- You wanted 'em, you got 'em! VIZ_CSV() and VIZ_PDF() content references can now be used in the Email Attachment ~ field, allow you to attach these file types for a viz.
- We now support embedding or attaching content to your email from any view on the same Site within Tableau Server to which you have permissions.
- Example: VIZ_CSV(myWorkbook/myView)
- In addition to referencing content from any view, you can also now pass in URL parameters to customize the output!
- Example: VIZ_PDF(myWorkbook/myView?Region=East)
- You can now more easily create hyperlinks to views with the VIZ_LINK() content reference
- Customize attachment filenames with the |filename option
- Combine multiple view images into a single, merged PDF by using the |mergpdf parameter in VIZ_PDF().
- Example: VIZ_PDF(Sales/EastSales|filename=AllSales|mergepdf) VIZ_PDF(Sales/WestSales|filename=AllSales|mergepdf)
- Enabled user-defined sort for consolidated emails using the Email Sort Order ~ field
- Inline images can be easily hyperlinked with |vizlink option
- A demo workbook is now included that shows a number of scenarios for both demo & test purposes
- Added config options for custom SMTP server ports, and ignoring certificate check for SSL
If you are currently running v1.0.8, here are the steps you'll need to take to upgrade:
(Note: I recommend using a diffing tool for this that can compare entire folders, such as WinMerge, or Notepad++'s Compare plugin, or my personal (but not-free) favorite, Beyond Compare.
You can choose to do it manually, but it's easier to make mistakes that way.)
- Download v1.1.0 from GitHub
- Install the pdf2py package on the server you're running VizAlerts on by running the command:
- pip install pypdf2
(for installing on a machine not connected to the Internet, see Appendix A in the install_guide)
- pip install pypdf2
- Backup the existing VizAlerts folder somewhere, just in case
- Unzip the VizAlerts-v1.1.0.zip to a temporary location
- Stop the Scheduled Task that runs VizAlerts
Here's where I like to use the diffing tool I mentioned earlier:
- *Carefully* merge the changes from the new \config\vizalerts.yaml file into your current config file, making sure to preserve your settings and any custom filters at the bottom of the SQL query.
- Copy the \tabUtil folder, replacing your current folder
- Copy the new \demo folder into the root of your current folder
- Copy all of the files in the root folder over your existing files:
- Delete the extraneous VizAlerts.tdsx file from the root folder (the new version is in \demo)
- Start the Scheduled Task that runs VizAlerts
- Run a test on an alert that would be sent just to you to ensure it's working
- (You may want to do more testing at this point)
- Publish demo\VizAlerts.tdsx to Tableau Server, overwriting your existing version.
- You may want to also publish demo\VizAlertsDemo.twb (export it to a packaged workbook first!) to let your users download it and use it to build their own alerts.
- Notify your users of all the great new features! Encourage them to join us here on this site and provide feedback.
Questions? Issues? Feedback of any kind? Add it as a comment below!