Many Tableau Server customers have asked about running Tableau Server on top of 3rd party public cloud platforms. We have previously announced support for Amazon EC2. We have created a walkthrough article in the knowledge base, Running Tableau Server on Microsoft Azure, that focuses on how to get Tableau Server running within Microsoft Azure. Where possible, we reference existing documentation for Tableau Server, and Microsoft Azure.
The guide assumes you have already achieved some familiarity with both Tableau Server and Microsoft Azure. If you've never worked with either or both of these before, you might want to spend some time reading through this guide, and reading the linked docs below before diving into the implementation steps. Once you've gotten all the prerequisites lined up, and you're familiar with the documents, you can follow these steps and be up and running with a Tableau Server in Azure in about an hour.
Tableau Server is an online solution for sharing, distributing, and collaborating on content created in Tableau.
- Microsoft Azure Get Started (complements this walkthrough): https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/
- Product Overview: http://www.tableau.com/products/server
- Product Help: http://www.tableau.com/support/help (see the "Tableau Server" list of documents)
- Server Administrator Guide: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#admin.htm
You need the following:
- A Windows Azure subscription. For your reference, you may use this Azure FREE Trial page to sign up for a free subscription.
- Optionally, a Tableau Server license. If you have a license, you can activate Tableau Server. Otherwise, you can activate Tableau Server for a trial period.
- Remote Desktop (RDP) installed on your computer. You use RDP to log in to the VM that is hosting Tableau Server. RDP is installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8. If you use a Mac, you can install RDP as a client from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Access to a Tableau Server installer. For your reference, you may download a free trial using the Tableau Server Trial Download page.