Why don't I have the option to attach content to a Reply?  Where's the Correct Answer button?

Version 1

Prologue

I discovered something new thanks to new user Stephen Lynch.  Here's the conversation that started it and if you're in Threaded Mode then you can see Stephen's conundrum and what the cause was:  Re: Formatting Date Time

Three Ways to Edit a Reply

(and why don't they use the same editor?)

If you are in your Inbox Interactions reading posts and come to one that you want to reply to you can by clicking on the Reply link that is on the bottom left side of each message:

When you click on it you will see a text editor:

This is a limited editor in that it is missing the ability to switch over to the advanced editor that allows you to attach a file i.e. this is not the regular editor.  Notice how the upper right corner of the editor box is empty

Get into the Regular Editor

In order to get the regular editor you need to reply to the post in the thread itself.  To get to the exact post that's in your Inbox Interactions that you wish to reply to simply click on the time stamp and you will be taken directly to that post:

You'll notice that the Reply link is now on the right side of the screen   Oh, and now there's the Correct Answer button and other helpful side actions (Helpful & Like), yeay!

Clicking this Reply will bring up the regular editor which includes a link to jump to the advanced editor:

Below is the advanced editor along with the link that allows you to attach content to the message:

Hope this helps

Likewise, if you are logged in and don't see the Correct Answer button in the replies it's because you are not in the thread itself. Follow the steps in the above Get into the Regular Editor.  Once you are in the thread you will see that each post has the button (if the post has not already been marked as Answered or Assumed Answered ):

The new Jive forum has brought many new welcome features, but the confusion over adding Attachments / lack of obvious attachments button I see again and again... great idea to document Toby!!

At least the label now says 'Advanced editor and add an attachment', originally it was just 'Advanced Editor' which was super confusing

After all this time though... I still default to bottom right (to add attachments), rather than top right

Tableau Community where is a good place for this document? i feel it should be bookmarked somewhere for easier access

It would be helpful if this post was found as suggested reading in Forums :

Here are some news from Patrick  about this issue:

this idea is one that we in the community have been working with Jive (the provider of our Community platform) to implement for awhile.  Our understanding from Jive is that this feature will be in an upcoming release.  Just in case you are interested - here is the Idea on the Jive community - Allow for Advanced Editor to be a System or Per... |Jive Community  https://community.tableau.com/ideas/6404#comment-20245

Yes - this is apparently live in Jive's Cloud product.  Features migrate to hosted versions at a slower pace (they would really like us to be on Cloud but it won't support our customizations).

Patrick

I have to be honest...

I Googled 'how to add an attachment in Tableau Community' when I first joined

Great stuff!

Cheers,

Matthias

Thanks this helped me, i really couldn't find the option to attach my .twbx file.

This document was generated from the following discussion: Why don't I have the option to attach content to a Reply?  Where's the Correct Answer button?