Community Spotlight - Serena Roberts

Version 1

Hi Tableau Community! Get to know Tableau User Group Ambassador, Minneapolis User Group leader, and Data+Woman advocate, Serena Roberts, in our latest Tableau Ambassador Spotlight! Read the interview with our User Group Community Strategist, Jordan Scott:

Jordan: Where are you from?

Serena: Minnesota born and raised, don’tya know

Jordan: What is your favorite hobby outside of work?

Serena: Pretending my husband and I are Chip and Joanna Gaines, and helping my three kids to become good humans.Serena Robers.jpg

Jordan: How long have you used Tableau?

Serena: About 4 years.

Jordan:  How do you use Tableau? At work? In your personal life?

Serena:I use Tableau at work and in my personal life.

Jordan: Where do you find data for your personal projects?

Serena:  Usually my personal financial data. When I have time for a just-for-fun project, I like to get my hands on political/election data sets.  Kaggle.com is a great resource!

Jordan: What data sources do you typically use?

Serena: Excel more than I'd like to admit

Jordan:What your favorite Tableau project you’ve ever worked on?

Serena: TOUGH QUESTION!  I'd have to say working with Tricia Duncan and Jeff Plattner on the 1st and 3rd place Viz Games winning dashboards was a total blast - and the winning part didn't hurt either, ha!

Jordan: What is your favorite feature of Tableau?

Serena: Another tough question…  If I'm being honest with myself, It's gotta be CTRL Z, but the Use as Filter feature seems to be a crowd pleaser with end-users and it's so easy to incorporate.

Jordan:What’s your biggest feature request?

Serena: After all the cool new features they've promised in 2019 have been delivered, I would love to see a KPI-type viz as a Show Me option - it's like the only thing Power BI has that I wish Tableau did

Jordan:How did you discover the Tableau Community?

Serena:  Like most people I think, a co-worker recommended it to me.  A short while later I ran into one of the organizers at a coffee shop and asked if they could use an extra hand. That was almost three years ago, and I don't think I've missed a single meeting since!

Jordan: What’s your favorite part about the Tableau Community?

Serena:Hands down, the level of engagement. The desire to learn and share and solve problems is so inspiring.

Jordan: What does being a Tableau ambassador mean to you?

Serena: To me it's a responsibility to embody the things that make the Tableau community so amazing and unique.  To share those values with others through my actions and my words.

Jordan: What advice do you have for new members of Tableau? Of the Community?

Serena: We were all new once and we haven't forgotten what that was like. Make it a priority to attend, become a familiar face.  Reach out to your TUG organizers and offer to present something you learned or to host a meetup at your facility - they will love you for that

Jordan:  You seem to enjoy being creative with Tableau. What is your favorite type of viz?

Serena: Ones that tell a story and drive action.  Vizzes are not one-size-fits-all, so it really depends on the data and use case - sorry for the total consultant answer, ha!

Jordan: Is there anyone in the community you have worked with closely, or is there someone that inspires you?

Serena: I must give a shout out to everyone on the TCTUG steering committee: Tim Herby, Tricia Duncan, Luke Komiskey, Jim Van Sistine, Stacy George, Nicholas Petersen, Mitchell Grewer, Vince Baumel and Alex Cook. It takes a village to do what we do every month and I am super glad these folks are part of mine!