Ambassador Spotlight - Amanda Patist

Version 4

Amanda 1.jpg

Hello Tableau Community.  In this month's Tableau Ambassador Spotlight, Tableau's own  Jonni Walker will introduce you to Tableau Public Ambassador,  Amanda Patist

Click here to review Amanda's Tableau Public Visualizations.  You can find Amanda on Twitter at Amanda Patist (@amanda_patist) | Twitter  if you would like to keep up to date on her Tableau creations.   

Jonni: How long have you used Tableau?

Amanda: I started using Tableau in February/March 2016, for my Data School application, so two and a bit years.

Jonni: How do you use Tableau? At work? In your personal life?

Amanda: I use Tableau both at work and at home. The capacity in which I use Tableau at work has changed now and is mostly for making interactive and attractive reports and insights. At work I do what I know, to be able to come up with solutions in a timely manner. As a result, I now value my outside of work Tableau time even more! The non-work related vizzing allows me to look into data that means so much more to me than the numbers I crunch at work. Don’t get me wrong, I love shoes, but I also enjoy projects with a bit more substance, take for example the #VizForSocialGood projects. Vizzing at home also allows me to be more creative and playful in my design, something I strive to be better at. It gives me the opportunity to learn more about different visualisations and to interact with the Tableau community.

Jonni: Where do you find data for your personal projects?

Amanda: I actually think that finding data is one of the most challenging parts about vizzing. This is still something I need to master and is also why I really appreciate projects like Makeover Monday.

Jonni: What type of data interests you?

Amanda: The type of data that interests me the most is also the type of data that terrifies me the most. The kind of data that, despite being unpleasant, is the kind of thing that people need to be aware of, so we, as humans can make a change, take for example trafficking, climate change, or pollution.

Jonni: How have you learned to use Tableau?

Amanda: I learned how to use Tableau in probably the best possible surrounding, at The Data School at The Information Lab, from the likes of Andy Kriebel and Carl Allchin. They provided a mix of classroom training with client-based projects. I couldn’t have asked for a better education. If you don’t know about the DS yet, read about it at https://www.thedataschool.co.uk.

Jonni: What data sources do you typically use?

Amanda: All sorts! Everything from connecting to data lakes to excel files to Google sheets. I’d love to do more with spatial data.

Jonni: What your favorite Tableau project you’ve ever worked on?

Amanda: This is a tough question and I’m going to cheat. I’m going to give you two. My favourite kinds of projects incorporate two things, vizzing about something that matters to me and bringing people together. This is why I love the #VizForSocialGood projects, particularly the first time I got together a group of people for a mini ‘hackathon’ and saw how this idea caught on. I also really enjoyed the challenge of leading Team Climate Change in the Tableau #HackingOpenData event. Both of these brought people together, learning from each other while also using data and data visualisation to educate about issues that affect our world.

Jonni: What is your favorite feature of Tableau?

Amanda: Well that’s a difficult one. What I love about Tableau is just how eye catching it can make your data. So I’d have to say one of the most impressive features is the mapping.

Jonni: What do you want to learn more about?

Amanda: Everything. There are so many chart types I still need to learn, better design, connecting to more different kinds of data, more mapping.

Jonni: What’s your biggest feature request?

Amanda: I’d like to see more different options for colour legends.

Jonni: How did you discover the Tableau Community?

Amanda: I was encouraged to join Twitter by our Data School head coach Andy Kriebel. I was pretty hesitant, I’m really not the type to self broadcast, but entering this community changed my data analytics experience completely.

Jonni: What’s your favorite part about the Tableau Community?

Amanda: By far my favourite thing about the Tableau Community is the support and encouragement to learn and be part of the family.

Jonni: What does being a Tableau ambassador mean to you?

Amanda: What does being an ambassador mean to me? Wow. That is a huge question. I feel privileged to be associated with a group of people who I find inspiring and lucky and honored that I have been noticed, but to be honest, being an ‘ambassador’ is not why I do what I do. I learned so much from this community, and I have been welcomed with open arms and have been given so much opportunity. I’m excited to be part of this community and if I can help someone get into vizzing or help them grow a project, that makes me happy. I’m incredibly grateful to be recognized by Tableau and being part of this team, is a great bonus!

Jonni: What advice do you have for new members of Tableau? Of the Community?

Amanda: Jump right in, don’t hold back and enjoy it! Talk to whoever you can, we’ve got your back. Amanda 3.jpg

Jonni: You seem to enjoy being creative with Tableau. What is your favorite type of viz?

Amanda: I can’t say I really have a favourite viz type. I’m just always impressed and inspired when I see a viz that perfectly fits the data and the story it is telling.

Jonni: Is there anyone in the community you have worked with closely, or is there someone that inspires you?

Amanda: This is a very, very long list of people. So many people in this fantastic community who just want to share and help you learn. Andy Kriebel, Carl Allchin, Craig Bloodworth, Sophie Sparks, Nisa Mara, Chloe Tseng, Pablo Saenz de Tejada…. You get the idea, I could go on and on.

Jonni: Where are you from?

Amanda: I’m from The Netherlands, trained in London and now back in Amsterdam.

Jonni: What is your favorite hobby outside of work?

Amanda: Eating!

Jonni: Anything else you want to share?

Amanda: Yes, there is lots I want to share! After my training by the best of the best in London, I’ve now moved to Amsterdam and I’m super happy to say that I’ll be organsing the Amsterdam Local Chapter of #VizForSocialGood as well as the Tiny Tableau Talks. The Netherlands Tableau Community, I’m excited to meet you!