Tableau Ambassador Spotlight - Lei Chen

Version 9

Get to know Tableau Forum Ambassador Lei Chen in this edition of the Ambassador Spotlight! She joined our ranks as an Ambassador in January of 2017 and has contributed heavily to the community through the Tableau Forums, helping people with complex calculations, giving feedback on dashboard design, and helping answer Server questions! Lei is multilingual and has translated her interview into both Japanese and Chinese, so please check out those links for your preferred language. Thank you for all that you do for the Tableau Community Lei!

spotlight_1.JPG

Amanda: Where are you from?

Lei: I'm from Shanghai China, currently work in Tokyo Japan.

Amanda: How long have you used Tableau?

Lei: 2.5 years

Amanda: How do you use Tableau? At work? In your personal life?

Lei: I use Tableau at work. The company I work for is Tableau’s partner in China.

Amanda: Where do you find data for your personal projects?

Lei: It depends on the project I work on. For presales demo, I usually use official “Superstore”, or create some mockup data close to the industry of the target customer. For visualization projects, production data or sample data is provided by the customer

Amanda: What type of data interests you?

Lei: Datasets contain a variety of data types; thus more variation of visualization will be possible.

Amanda: How have you learned to use Tableau?

Lei: I got my first task with Tableau from boss, which is to learn most of the features of Tableau Desktop. Within the evaluation period of 14 days, I read Tableau online help documents as many as possible and tried to click each menu & button (laugh). Then after several months I dived into the Tableau Community.

Amanda: What data sources do you typically use?

Lei: I use Excel or csv most frequently.

Amanda: What your favorite Tableau project you’ve ever worked on?

Lei: Ad-hoc analysis. Our customer provides the data and the theme they want to analyze, and I provide the process of the analysis and the storytelling vizzes, by means of Tableau.

Amanda: What is your favorite feature of Tableau?

Lei: Drag & Drop, Undo & Redo. These features give me an experience like Plug-and-Play.

Amanda: What do you want to learn more about?

Lei: Skillful way of introducing Tableau products in presales demo and user trainings according to various user levels and requirements.

Amanda: What’s your biggest feature request?

Lei: The most recent one is “Find Field” on Web Edit.

Amanda: How did you discover the Tableau Community?

Lei: As far as I can remember, it was when I was search for some information of Tableau Server behind reverse proxy, the search result guided me to the Tableau Community.

Amanda: What’s your favorite part about the Tableau Community?

Lei: Community users are eager to help.

Where there’s a new question, there are community users raising their hands like

- "HEY look here, I’ve got an answer!"

- "HEY also look here, I’ve got an alternative!"

- "HEY one more look here, you can go further like this!"

Amanda: What advice do you have for new members of Tableau? Of the Community?

Lei: Be sure to attach a sample workbook and upgrade to the latest version!

Amanda: You seem to enjoy being creative with Tableau. What is your favorite type of viz?

Lei: Actually, there's no "favorite" type of viz for me.

In most cases, I create simple workbooks for demo and complicated workbooks for the business needs from our customers. There is no the universal best viz, but the best viz for current use case, current business needs and current data. So does type of viz. Usually I create more than one vizzes to demonstrate different visual effect to see which leads to the quickest data understanding from the audience.

spotlight_2.png

Amanda: Is there anyone in the community you have worked with closely, or is there someone who is active in the forums that inspires you? (They do not need to be another ambassador)

Lei: I would like to mention Shinichiro Murakami and Shawn Wallwork.

I’m always impressed by Shin’s amazing response counts and quality! I use Japanese at work and Japan Group is quite active, thus I often participate in Japan Group. I really benefit from the discussions with Shin, which include detailed Tableau tricks, better way of calculation, Tableau way of BI. When I first joined Tableau Ambassadors, Shawn gave me advice on not hiding behind the avatar. Before that, I had been using a graffiti-like funny icon. Using my own face makes me feel more positive, responsible and confident. Thanks Shawn!

Amanda: What is your favorite hobby outside of work?

Lei: One of my hobbies is musical. I enjoy watching musicals!

Amanda: Anything else you want to share?

Lei: The most thing I like is that, Tableau doesn’t provide one straight answer but recommend the possible paths to the answer, walking through these paths makes me creative.