Note: since Tableau introduced the Data Interpreter feature, the Tableau add-in for Excel is largely irrelevant. We are keeping this information available for customers who are still using older versions of Tableau Desktop, but chances are if you are using any recent version of Tableau you do not need this additional tool.
Often, the data in an Excel file is formatted in a way that is not optimized for Tableau. To get the most from Tableau using an Excel data source, you must reformat the Excel file as raw data. Use the Tips for Working with Your Data topic to help reformat the Excel file. If you have followed the suggestions from that article and believe that you still have data formatted in a way that doesn't take full advantage of Tableau's full functionality, you can use a Tableau add-in for Excel to help you further reshape your data.
Note: The Tableau add-in is not currently available on the Mac.
This article is divided into the following sections:
- Install the Tableau add-in in Excel 2010 and 2013
- Install the Tableau add-in in Excel 2007
- Troubleshoot issues with the Excel add-in
Important: The Tableau add-in is an unsupported and undocumented tool provided by Tableau. Make sure to back up your data and review the license agreement at the end of this article before using this tool.
- Download the Excel add-in that is attached to this article.
- Go to the location you downloaded the Tableau add-in, open the tableau_data_tool.zip file, and then double-click the file to install the add-in.
- Open Excel.
- Click the File tab, click Options, and then click Add-Ins.
- From the Manage box, select Excel Add-ins, and then click Go.
- In the Add-Ins dialog box, verify the check box next to the Tableau add-in is selected, and click OK.
Install the Tableau add-in in Excel 2007
Download the Excel add-in that is attached to this article.
Go to the location you downloaded the Tableau add-in, open the tableau_data_tool.zip file, and then double-click the file to install the add-in.
Click the Microsoft Office button, click Excel Options, and then click Add-Ins.
From the Manage box, select Excel Add-ins, and then click Go.
In the Add-Ins dialog box,verify the check box next to the Tableau add-in is selected, and click OK.
Troubleshoot issues with the Excel add-in
Refer to the list of troubleshooting tips below to help resolve any issues you may have after installing the Excel add-in.
Confirm the add-in was installed
After installing the Tableau Add-in, you can verify that the add-in is enabled by following steps 3-6 in one of the two procedures for installing Tableau Add-Ins listed above.
Add-in installs without issue, but the file cannot be found: Ensure that you have full administrative and unrestricted permissions to the directory where the add-in is being installed. If you do not have full permissions for the machine or location where the add-in is installed, the add-in may be installed under an Administrator account or a secondary account. Depending on the machine configuration or other policies, you may be able to copy the installed Tableau 7.xlam file to the AddIns folder under the appropriate or current user. Excel add-ins are typically installed in one of the following locations:
- Library folder or one of its subfolders in the Microsoft Office directory
- Documents and Settings/<username>/Application Data/Microsoft/AddIns folder
- C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns folder
Add-in does not display in the add-ins list: If the add-in does not display in the Add-Ins dialog box, the add-in may not have been installed correctly. To help resolve this issue, reinstall the add-in, using one of the procedures listed above.
Add-in displays in add-ins list, but as disabled: The add-in may have been automatically disabled by Microsoft Excel.To help resolve this issue, do the following:
- Click the Microsoft Office button, click Excel Options, and then click Add-ins.
- From the Manage drop-down list, select Disabled Items, and then click the Go button.
- Select the Tableau add-in, and click Enable.
Your use of this software add-in for Tableau Desktop (the “Add-In”) is subject to the Tableau End User License Agreement, except that Tableau makes no warranty and provides no support or indemnity for the Add-In. THE ADD-IN IS PROVIDED “AS IS”. NEITHER TABLEAU NOR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKES ANY WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR UNDERTAKINGS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE WITH RESPECT TO THE ADD-IN, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT.