It's officially May - which means we're well on our way to spring in the northern hemisphere, and personally, I',m loving it. Here's what happened last week in the Tableau Community -
Last week a more official announcement of the Tableau Ambassadors went out - check out this blog post to learn more about each of them: Meet the Tableau Ambassadors! | Tableau Software
Matt Lutton posted this gentle reminder about PLEA/REMINDER: Include Tableau Version When Posting Questions to Community Forums in order to help new and old community members alike to get an answer(s) to their question. Don't forget to include as much information as possible to help the people helping in the Community!
Jeff D achieved the "Questions for Breakfast" badge or had 25 of his responses marked as correct last week. Jeff has been a member of the community for just under a year and seems to be well versed in Tableau Server, as well as Desktop. He also seems to be getting know 9.0 quite well and has answered several people with their 9.0 questions. Thank you Jeff!
Most Talked About Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
noor.khemji asked a question related to getting duplicates in his data when joining two tables in summing a column in a joint table having duplicate records. Pooja Gandhi quickly responded with a couple of Knowledge Base articles. However, it wasn't until Noor posted a sample workbook that Cyril Belmehdi and Jonathan Drummey were able to help Noor out. It originally looked like version 9.0 and LOD expressions were the route to take, but after a second glance, using the second pass total seemed to have solve the answer. noor.khemji, if one of these solved the issue, please mark it correct!
Top Viewed Thread
**Not necessarily THE highest viewed, but within the top 10
This thread posted by Mark Jackson has gotten a lot of attention the last couple of days, Make your own custom Tableau Server landing page. As people are starting to upgrade their Tableau Servers to version 9.0, they've become interested in knowing what will happen to their custom pages.
Top Voted Idea
Speaking of ideas, have you ever been curious about how to write one up that will get the attention of Tableau's PMs, check out: How to write an idea Tableau Program Managers will look at
In Other News
- Daniel Paduck asked the question How does one become a Tableau 'Zen Master'? a couple of weeks ago. Several people responded with some great responses about what Tableau looks for - and ultimately, it was another catalyst for Jonathan Drummey to create this amazing blog post and video: http://drawingwithnumbers.artisart.org/so-you-want-to-be-a-tableau-zen-master/
- ashish gupta posted I want to get count based on no of counts. By providing a sample workbook for Shawn Wallwork, the two were able to work together to get to the answer. It even lead to a thoughtful, detailed blog post by Shawn - Tinkering With Binning LOD Expressions « Tableau Tinkering
- Donna Coles shared her first TabWiki document - Automatically sync Tableau groups with the AD. Definitely worth a look if you are a Tableau Server admin using Active Directory in your organization.
- Erin Gehn had a question about Disable Comment Adding on Server - she came back and provided the solution after she got a response from Tableau Support. Matt Lutton and Chris Gerrard also provided some good information on the subject of permissions.
- Paul Edwards posted Caclulated field based on calculated field. With the help of The specified item was not found. and Frederick Wu, Paul was able to see that he wasn't far off - just needed a reminder about the type of field his outcome was.
- David Sawyers needed help with Find distinct value based on last time it was updated. Matt Lutton came to the rescue and even offered a free hug
That's a wrap for last week! Have a great week and happy analyzing!
As always, send any suggestions, submissions, or comments my direction at email@example.com