Hope everyone had a great weekend and has a great week this coming week. Here's a peek into some of what was happening last week and some things to look out for.
The big event happening this week is the Virtual Tableau User Group on Wednesday, March 9 at 2:30 PM PDT. If you haven't already, you can register here: http://www.tableau.com/9.0VirtualTUG
It is also the kick off for the 9.0 Roadshows (Tableau will be doing local events and demoing our new version)! I definitely recommend checking out the list to see if you're able to join the event in your area - Events & Conferences | Tableau Software.
In two weeks, we'll be having a Think Data Thursday event with Jonathan Drummey about Data Blending. For more information, go to the following thread: TDT: Data Blending - Left Join or not? - presented March 26, 2015
A relatively new member to the Community, though not to Tableau, Shine Pulikathara has received the Questions for Breakfast! badge - in other words, 25+ of his responses have been marked correct! Thank you for all your help Shine and we look forward to seeing more of you
In addition, Ben Young received the "I Know Stuff!" badge - having 10 of his answers marked as correct. Thank you Ben for your contributions!
kettan achieved his 50 badge (Question Slayer) and the 50 Helpful Answers "Helpful is my middle name" badge) in the last couple of weeks. However, Shawn Wallwork started a thread (Kettan hits 50...) to recognize him and kettan has gotten more than a handful of people thanking him for all he does for this Community. Again, thank you Kettan!
Most Talked about Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
ali twaij asked Are calculated fields stored in the datasources at all or always in the workbooks? This is something that can be a confusing topic. Jonathan Drummey settled the confusion about where calculations are stored when working with extracts and live data sources. The conversation then continued with what happens when using Tableau Data Server, where Jonathan and Alexander Mou were able to provide some more clarifying information.
Top Viewed Thread
Possibly in correlation to the above thread, one of the highest viewed threads this week (Prashant Sharma's New Features in Tableau 9+? thread is still the top) was asked by Jonathan Drummey back in 2013, Recommended practices for sharing/re-using Tableau Data Extracts (.tde's). At the time, Russell Christopher provided a solution. However, last week, kettan shared a blog post posted on the Interworks site about solving this issue https://www.interworks.com/blogs/skennedy/2015/02/24/i-hate-when-tableau-does-calculated-fields-edition. This prompted Richard Leeke to shared some detailed insight.
Top Voted Idea
Two weeks in a row, Dawn Mcdonald's I want to create subscriptions for others idea is the top voted. This week, 11 new votes. It looks like there were also a couple comments added to the idea. The Dev team loves getting comments because it helps them understand the use cases better - the more information, you can provide here the better!
In Other News
- Toby Erkson started Would a RAM disk improve Server performance? back in January - and wow, has it taken off - 75 replies. Cristian Vasile, The specified item was not found., Matt Coles and Toby have really continued and carried this discussion and have done some testing on their own Servers and reported back their findings - definitely a good thread with some real nuggets of information.
- Tableau's Miranda Li posted the The Magic Sauce for Great Visualizations in Viz Talk where she'll be frequenting to share some challenges she has come across, as well as, offering her expertise to help people create beautiful visualizations. Miranda creates ALOT of the workbooks on the Tableau website and is a great resource if you ever need another set of eyes.
- kettan posted Fiscal YOY YTD Bar Comparison in the Workbook & Calculation Library at the beginning of February, but it saved Meghan Waitt a lot of time this past week. I love seeing these resources being used and put to good use!
- daniel hegenbarth asked about Charting new distinct values per period? Joshua Milligan provided a detailed response(s), one as the "Tableau 8 Way" and the other being the "Tableau 9 Way." Daniel was extremely appreciative and was able to also get a detailed response for a follow up question. BTW, Joshua has a book coming soon?! We'll all be looking forward to that one!
- James Lapp asked why he Can't access "Edit Colors" shelf? Jeff James provided a simple quick solution that helped resolve the issue.
Until next week, happy analyzing! As always, feel free to send any suggestions or submissions for this digest my way at firstname.lastname@example.org.