What is Localization?
Localization refers to the adaptation of a product, application or document content to meet the language, cultural and other requirements of a specific target market.
What is Internationalization?
Internationalization is the process of designing and building an application to facilitate localization.
How do these apply at Tableau?
We design and code our products to function well for different languages and locales.
The UI language should feel 'natural' for the end-user (in all of our supported languages) and allow for a smooth analytics workflow.
Internationalization and localization testing at Tableau are performed at the level of:
- Different OS locales and other regional settings
- International data sources and characters
- Product UI and documentation localization
A string should be localized in such a way that it conveys the same idea as the original string (in English).
It should also fit into the same space to avoid truncation in the product UI.
- Workbook locales
- Number, date and time formats
- Tableau Server/Online Admin locale and Tableau Server/Online User account settings