4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2019 6:13 AM by Ricardo Pires

Can't use the Hyper API with an extract file that is being used by Tableau

Luciano  Silva

Hey there,

We were experimenting with the Hyper API (it looks great!) when we were faced with an issue. If we are, for instance, using a hyper extract as a data source in Tableau Desktop then we can not use the API to interact with the file at the same time using, for example, a Java application. The API throws an error claiming that a Hyper Process could not be started due to the file being used by another process (which I believe was the Tableau Desktop).

Is this a limitation? We very much appreciate the ability to interact with the Hyper API by changing the extract while also visualizing changes in a Tableau Dashboard.

Did this happen with someone else?

• 1. Re: Can't use the Hyper API with an extract file that is being used by Tableau
          Jan Finis

Hi Luciano,

I'm afraid, this is a current limitation. You have to close the extract / workbook in Tableau Desktop to access the file in Hyper API and you have to close the connection in Hyper API before you can use the file in Tableau Desktop again.

We know that this is painful, but it is quite hard to change without a lot of effort, so don't expect this to go away in the near future. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
          Jan

• 2. Re: Can't use the Hyper API with an extract file that is being used by Tableau
            Ricardo Pires

Hi Jan,

I work with Luciano and I understand your point so I just wanted to make sure we provide a broader vision of the context in which we intended to use the Hyper API and the corresponding impact.

Our end goal was enhancing our Write-Back extension https://extensiongallery.tableau.com/products/114 with Hyper as a new back end technology, the main advantage would be that users wouldn't have to manage a database schema for the extension making it even easier to install. In this use case this limitation is really huge as the user can even decide to read and write on the same dashboard.

Even on a more typical scenario you could use Tableau Prep or other ETL to batch load the hyper file, and while not as limiting, it will be hard to ensure that at the time of writing there is no one using the workbook. Making the overall solution less robust.

Feel free to reach out if you have any inquiries. Anyway if this cannot be improved maybe this limitation could be highlighted on the Known Issues of the API. At least for us it would have saved us some implementation time.

Cheers,

Ricardo Pires 

• 3. Re: Can't use the Hyper API with an extract file that is being used by Tableau
              Jan Finis

Hi Ricardo,

thank you for elaborating further!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing updates while the workbook is open in Tableau Desktop also doesn't work for Tableau Prep (or any other ETL tool); thus, it is not really a limitation of the Hyper API but rather a limitation of Tableau Desktop. i.e., Desktop cannot handle extracts that are updated while Desktop is running, regardless of which tool updates them. Therefore, it seems a bit weird to add this to Hyper API's known issues. However, I have started an internal discussion about this, so our release team will consider it.

Cheers,
              Jan

• 4. Re: Can't use the Hyper API with an extract file that is being used by Tableau
                Ricardo Pires

Hi Jan,

You are absolutely right, I was seeing this from a user perspective about the overall impact which isn't completely accurate. Anyway since the API can be potentially used to do more advanced use cases, having the reference in there would be really usefull. I guess it might just be a link to overall hyper\extract documentation.

Best regards,

Ricardo Pires