2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2019 5:27 PM by Lisa Hu

Cannot connect to Data sources in Tableau server in AWS

Lisa Hu

I installed a Tableau server in AWS EC2 using ubuntu 16.04 and tableau 2019.1.5. I have installed data drivers I need but I could not get data source connection.

if I login web server of tableau dashboard (the one with port 80), go to status (it showed server status), go to Traffic to data source, it showed error: Unable to connect to data source...

The drivers required to connect to the data source are not installed.

Unable to connect to the PostgreSQL server "ip-10-123-30-20". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Note "ip-10-123-30-20" is the hostname of my AWS EC2. I already added it to private host zone so it can be resolved to ip.

• 1. Re: Cannot connect to Data sources in Tableau server in AWS
          Michael Gillespie

What are you trying to connect to? 

• 2. Re: Cannot connect to Data sources in Tableau server in AWS
            Lisa Hu

I try to test connection from the tableau server to redshift and postgreSQL postgreSQL is in the same tableau server machine, redshift is in another cluster.

if I ssh the tableau server, I can access the redshift (using a python script) and the postgreSQL (command: psql -h ip-10-123-30-20 ....), ip-10-123-30-20 is the hostname of the tableau server. which means network connection is ok. no firewall block.

But if I access the tableau server from webpage (the one with port 80), goto Explore All Data Sources (on left of the page) , filter (on the right of the page) to Connection Type -> choose Redshift -> choose any workbook -> choose … (3 dots) -> edit connection->test connection fails. Same thing if I choose Connection Type as PostgreSQL it fails too

Besides, if I access the tableau server webpage (the one with port 80), goto status -> goto Traffic to Data Source -> it showed  error like Unable to connect to the PostgreSQL server "ip-X-X-X-X".

in summary, the network connection between the tableau server and its data source redshift and postgreSQL is ok but tableau server cannot set up connection to them from web page.