2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2019 3:40 AM by Ciara Brennan

Linking a Filter and a Parameter that have the same values

Stephen Shearing

Hi,

I am looking to link a filter and a parameter that have the same options when selecting.

The problem I am having is that when I select the filter, I then have to change the drop down on the parameter to then get the results I need, which is not very visually pleasing, can lead to errors when analysing the data and is not very efficient to the end user.

I was wondering if there was a way I could like a filter and a parameter that have the same drop down options in a dashboard (with a single value drop down / compact list), so that when you change one of them, they both change to the correct data source.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stephen

• 1. Re: Linking a Filter and a Parameter that have the same values
          Stephen Shearing

Hi,

The issue I had was that I created a filter that added -- [data1] "-" [data2] -- together and called it "Data1 + Data2" instead of being separate fields. In my data sheet, these were both columns that I needed to link together.

I then created a parameter called 'Sorting Key' that would work as a string, and 'allowable values' as a list. I then selected the "Data1 + Data2" sheet and then selected ok.

I then created a second filter called Data1 + Data2 NEW that said the following:

CASE [Sorting Key]

When 'X' then [Data1 + Data2]

When 'Y' then [Data1 + Data2]

END

X & Y are the fields within the Parameter options, so you are essentially linking the parameter and field together using this.

I then added the "Data1 + Data2 NEW" filter (making sure it is a dimension) to the rows or columns (depending on where you need it) and added it as a filter in the filters box.

When using this on several worksheets and importing them into a Dashboard, I was able to filter all of the worksheets within the dashboard at the same time, whilst sorting and filtering together.

The issue is now resolved as a result of this.

Many thanks,

Stephen

• 2. Re: Linking a Filter and a Parameter that have the same values
            Ciara Brennan

Thanks for the update Stephen, glad to hear it's resolved