3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2019 9:04 AM by Toby Erkson

Questions on Upgrading Tableau Server when VizAlerts is Installed

Brian Brooks

Hi VizAlerts community,

We've got a beta group working on some VizAlerts workbooks in our DEV environment to make sure it's going to fulfill their business needs. Before we install this on our production server, I had a few more general questions to pose to my fellow admins in the house.

We are currently on Tableau Server 2018.3.3. I would anticipate in the next 2-3 months we will start considering an upgrade to a new/newer version of Tableau Server. Looking at the most recent version of VizAlerts (2.1.1), it only supports Tableau Server 2019.1:

• Does that limit our upgrade path?
      • Or would upgrading Tableau Server to 2019.3 (when it comes out) while having VizAlerts 2.1.1 installed be risky but OK?
      • How do you guys handle upgrades when VizAlerts is installed?
      • How frequently is VizAlerts updated to account for new releases?

Normally we do two Tableau Server upgrades per year, so if VizAlerts is going to throw a huge wrinkle in that plan, we might need to either account for that wrinkle or scale back our upgrade plan. Any thoughts/advice are welcome!

Thanks!

Brian Brooks

• 1. Re: Questions on Upgrading Tableau Server when VizAlerts is Installed
          Matt Coles
          Looking at the most recent version of VizAlerts (2.1.1), it only supports Tableau Server 2019.1:

That's not correct, actually. It supports up to 2019.3. It hasn't required any updates for comparability since it was updated for 2019.1, that's all.

• How do you guys handle upgrades when VizAlerts is installed?

We (Tableau) always upgrade our internal Server instances to the latest Beta release before releasing to the world (the Windows builds, to be precise). Since we run VizAlerts internally, any compatibility issue that breaks VizAlerts will normally break in our production environment, and VizAlerts will be fixed before release Server to our customers.

Only as often as it needs to be. Typically this is done because something changed with the postreSQL repository schema and it broke the VizAlertsConfig workbook.This happens on average around once every three releases, I'd estimate.

• 2. Re: Questions on Upgrading Tableau Server when VizAlerts is Installed
            Brian Brooks

Matt...you rule! Thanks for the great information and helping put my upgrade mind at ease. I'll add that to my documentation and let the powers that be know.

For what it's worth, once the business understood the power of VizAlerts, they are very excited to get their hands on it! It would have been disappointing to them (and us) if we had to put the brakes on deployment to production. This will definitely take any roadblocks away.

• 3. Re: Questions on Upgrading Tableau Server when VizAlerts is Installed
              Toby Erkson

Matt Coles wrote:

Only as often as it needs to be.

I this.