9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2019 3:44 AM by Jim Dehner

Tableau Noob! I need a help

Pungky Agustine

I need to visualize my company excel worksheet but i'm noob and i learned about tableau few days ago.

My company expect me to create a chart like this

and i don't understand how to make it? anyone can help me?

• 1. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
          Jim Dehner

good morning

this can be done with a dual axis plot but it is involved for a newbie

a lot will depend on the data structure and the number of data sources -

please post your twbx workbook ( even with dummy data) so we can see what you are doing

also

Tableau has excellent free video training at Tableau Training: View Training Courses

it will take you from getting started through advanced calculations

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
            Pungky Agustine

Hi Jim, thanks for responding

I can't show you my twbx workbook because it's a mess, i barely do anything because i got stuck and try to understand how to make the dual axis chart. I can only provide you my dummy excel sheet, i don't really understand about it. I have watched some videos from tableau learning site but my company excel sheet is confusing, i don't know if i should reorganize the excel sheet or what? On my dummy excel sheet there's the chart that i need to make, is it possible to make that kind of chart in tableau?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
              Jim Dehner

Hi

I have taken your data - cleaned it - loaded it into tableau - pivoted the dates - (they should be real dates and not strings) and then split out the month and year - but what you are asking is beyond our purpose here -

you can take what is attached and then start working it into the chart you want - - your dimensions in the chart are not the same as in the excel file you sent

clearly you need training - you can start with the free on-line training noted above - also consider either a Tableau consultant or mentor -

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
                Jim Dehner

I took a second look at the data and used the data you pivoted in excel

it cleans up the chart a lot BUT  it still needed to be pivoted in Tableau

see the attached

You need REAL dates (not strings) in the data set -

jim

• 5. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
                  Jim Dehner

thanks

I appreciate the awards

Please look into that training

once you have done that there is also a mentoring group that you may want to consider 

http://www.mentoringmeetup.com/

Jim

• 6. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
                    Pungky Agustine

Hi Jim thanks for your help

I have already pivoted my data and reorganize the excel sheet

but i face another problem, i don't understand how to make chart like this

(FC accuracy line and FC M vs OI creation line)

i only can put my Forecast M, Forecast M3, Actual OI Btm (Creation), Actual OI (CRD) in one measure values and then i add my FC M vs OI Creation in the same rows as my measure values to make the line. How can i add another line in my chart?

Thank you

• 7. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
                      Jim Dehner

Hi

first to your question

that line has to be created on a dual axis chart as yo have done - BUT - the issue you face is that you are trying to draw a continuous line on a discrete axis - each of the bars establishes a separate position (discrete) on the month (discrete) axis and you are trying to draw continuous line across all of the month/measure combinations

this would be easy  with  a single continuous date dimension and a stacked bar

but the contiuous dimension ad side by sid breaks the line chart into points

Jim

BTW  using the pivot table in excel OK as a one - off - but you want to load all the low level data into tableau and do the pivot there - else you will have to create the pivot in excel every month ad then reload in tableau

• 8. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
                        Pungky Agustine

Hi Jim, thank you it helps me a lot.

But my one last question is how do you make this

the AGG(Calculation2) parameter, does it contain some values or what? i know that 2 lines are coming from that aggregation,but do you mind to share the formula or something to contain my 2 parameters (FC M vs OI and FC accuracy M3) as a one measure like yours?

Thank you

• 9. Re: Tableau Noob! I need a help
                          Jim Dehner

that is just a percent of total cal made up to illustrate a point - it does not pertain to your data