3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2019 7:28 AM by Frank Nunziata

Aternative display of fiscal year required

Frank Nunziata

Hi,

I have a chart with three lines, one for each fiscal year, showing numbers for each month. Our fiscal year starts in April. My problem is that our users are not keen on the year showing as 'FY 2019' form and want it as 2018/19. How do I do this so that the labels and filters show the alternative form? the users still need to be able to drill down for each year/month.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

• 1. Re: Aternative display of fiscal year required
          Akram Ebrahim

Hi Frank

can you try create a calculation as below and place it on the labels?

if YEAR([Creation Date])=2018 then '2018/19'

elseif YEAR([Creation Date])=2019 then '2019/20'

elseif YEAR([Creation Date])=2020 then '2020/21'

end

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Aternative display of fiscal year required
            Kolsuma Aktar

Hi Frank,

I have a dynamic solution below which would work for new dates that you may add to your data in the future.

I have created a [Fiscal Order Date] calculation which tricks Tableau into taking April as the start of a new year. This calculation adds 9 months to April so that Tableau treats it as January, and therefore when you do YEAR([Fiscal Order Date]) it brings back the correct Fiscal year.

DATE(DATEADD('month', 9, [Order Date]))

I then created a [FY Label] calculation. The first STR function brings back the string year value of the previous FY for any point, while the second just brings back the year of [Fiscal Order Date].

'FY '+

STR(YEAR(DATEADD('year',-1,[Fiscal Order Date])))

+ '/' +

STR(YEAR([Fiscal Order Date]))

I prefer to create Fiscal date parts using calculations rather than using the Default Properties formatting in Tableau as it allows more control and flexibility in how you use them. Getting fiscal year from Default Properties for a date is more for reporting purposes. See this link to find out how to create other date part fiscal date calculations (e.g. month, week).

I have attached a workbook below for you. Please let me know if you have any questions and if this solves your question, please mark it as the solution.

Kolsuma